Author Topic: Hackberry questions  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Morgan

Hackberry questions
« on: March 01, 2017, 12:43:30 pm »
I cut down and split 7 hackberry trees Saturday. Wound up with 19 staves. Should have just half split the logs as the smaller splits are moving a lot and I will have to get some twist out. First I cut was a small sapling. I put my pocket knife under the bark and it wanted to peel right off , so I figured the bark was ready to slip and cut the more mature stuff down. Well the bark isn't slipping on that stuff yet.
I'd rather not draw the bark off all the staves right now and do it one bow at a time if it isn't going to slip off. The staves are on a rack in my shop.
I used to run a sawmill and would treat green lumber with borax water to keep the bugs out in the summertime. Could I do the same with the bark on staves, or is it necessary to peel them right now?
Also, what is the preferred way to get twists and bows out of the staves? Many are going to have back set that I'll leave, but, for my lack of skills at this point, I should address some of the crookedness and twists that is happening. They split straight, but are sure moving a lot now.
Can I steam bend after the wood has dried without damaging it?
Thank you

Offline JonW

Re: Hackberry questions
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 12:49:18 pm »
Hackberry is prolly THE most bendable wood with steam. Getting bark off hasn't been a problem for me on dried staves. If you are carefull it shouldn't be a problem. Heat tempering of the belly is crucial to make hackberry a real performer.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 12:55:32 pm »
Check out this hackberry build-a-long that Pearl Drums did a while back.  It might help you out

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,31738.0.html
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 01:16:25 pm »
I'm sure you could use a heat gun to remove any twist or lateral bends. I use steam for static tips, that's about it. Dry heat works great on hackberry, like Jon said, its very easy to move around. You can chase a ring on hackberry, you need good light to see what you are doing as you cant feel what you are doing like osage and locust allows. And a good heat treating, as Jon also said, is a must IMO.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 01:40:34 pm »
Small diameter trees of any species I've used LOVE to twist and warp.  Anything from, say 5" dia or smaller, I rough out staves and clamp them down to boards to dry or something. 

i don''t know hackberry much myself, but it supposedly responds very well to heat.