Author Topic: Rule of thumb on bow length?  (Read 2015 times)

Offline justsomedude

Rule of thumb on bow length?
« on: February 07, 2017, 10:42:07 am »
I have some very straight dried Osage that is 43". I will definitely save some for splicing (I have a woodworker fiend that can cut for me...I don't have a bandsaw or the skill yet). I also want to do a 2 pc takedown like Jim Davis.....

BUT
For short bows, is there a general draw length/bow length safe ratio for Osage?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Rule of thumb on bow length?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 10:44:20 am »
Draw length x2 if it bends in the handle is a bare minimum in my book. Draw length x2 plus 10" if stiff handled. Follow those guide lines and you will be successful more than not. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 10:50:08 am »
Excellent. Time to learn how to make a bendy bow with a floppy rest :)

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 11:27:51 am »
12 dollar dovetail saw will cut a scarf joint, in case you don't wanna wait to go to your friends house

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 11:37:45 am »
Are you going to sinew back? 2x rule is a good general rule to start with. Depending on the piece of wood, 43" sinew backed Osage could go to 24" if Osage is as good as everyone says. I know yew can do it.

Eric
Eric

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 11:43:30 am »
Keeping the string on the bow is the challenge with bows that are too short. You have to have reflexed tips. When the limbs stop bending and start pulling you get a mushy, stacky POS.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 12:04:55 pm »
This would be a kid's bow for sure. With all of this in mind, I will keep bows as long as I can.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 12:09:11 pm »
A short bow cooked right is nice, but when they aren't cooked right they are no fun at all and far from efficient.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 12:14:57 pm »
For a kid's bow, you are golden, but for the rest Pearl Drums is right. 

You CAN make full draw bows WAY shorter than the "draw length x 2" rule.......but there are caveats, complications, compromises, etc....You have to start redistributing bends, dealing with tip angle and strings that want to come off, stacking, extra set, etc....

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 01:27:55 pm »
also ,, it seems the cast per draw weight is not as good on shorter say 22 inch draw,,, but once you can get one to 24 inches they start to get a bit more effecient,, so if you made some extensions to get it a bit longer, it would probably have better cast ,, I have some bows that draw 20 inches,, and it is hard to get them to shoot 150fps with a 10gpp arrow,,  even sinew backed and reflexed,,  they will shoot hard enough to kill a deer, but to get better cast you have to up the weight,,