Author Topic: tying temporary string nocks  (Read 2799 times)

Offline loon

Re: tying temporary string nocks
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 05:17:15 am »
Maybe a constrictor knot could work well if both tag ends are used for the string..

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 06:59:34 am »
I just a thought but liked what Mike said but use double backed carpet tape it's verry strong stuff I use it all the time for router forms and just remove serving string and peal off !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline WillS

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 07:40:49 am »
Look up African bows.  They tie their strings on with various knots, you'll find what you're after there.

One of the simplest ways is to bind the nock area with bowstring and soak it in glue.  Then just use a normal laid in loop that you'd usually use and slip it over the bow tip so it sits up against the binding.  That works on bows well over 100lb so you won't have any issues.

Offline WillS

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 07:46:31 am »
In fact, just Google "hadza bow nocks" and look through the images.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2017, 08:31:57 am »
Wow, great ideas.

Bubby, Pat, and Pat, I usually leave the tips 1" wide before flipping the tips with steam for all the reasons you mentioned. I don't go wider because the metal I use to prevent splintering during the bend is 1" wide. I was afraid to cut in temporary nocks before bending. Maybe I shouldn't be? I know

I don't want to narrow the tips before bending, as anything less than 1" wide feels unstable during the bend.

Thanks again to everyone for the responses  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb