Author Topic: Sizing with hide glue...  (Read 5039 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Sizing with hide glue...
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 08:02:17 am »
Thanks, Mike. I've really been struggling with my sinewing. It's rough and lumpy and flies off before I can even brace the bow.  ::)

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 08:06:32 am »
Rather bin there is a couple excelent books on sinew process out there , but one of the best ones that breaks down the sinew process  in the most meticulious format & exsplanation is Adam Korpowitz  turk bow book its geared towards horn bows but its worth its weight in gold for any sinew bow if your interested .
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 10:05:43 am »
That's only one reason why hide glue & sinew is such amazing stuff and more than strong enough for any designed bow out there RatherBin.The only draw back is it's not water proof,but multiple thin layered barriers over it make it pretty durable I've found.If that's your preference.Should work fine on your elm bow.
To answer the second half of your question.I use saran wrap over a bow thats' going to set a while after sizing and before sinewing to lessen any contamination,plus a light sanding prior to resizing will help accept the sinew good and proper.
Adams' book is quite detailed about sinewing and I would say the highest standard method out there.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed