Author Topic: Glue for bamboo osage  (Read 5454 times)

mikekeswick

Re: Glue for bamboo osage
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 06:38:34 pm »
Yep definitely no go for the tape!
Go to your local bike shop and ask for the old inner tubes they have from fixing punctures. They all generally have a big bag of them going for free to anyone who asks. Just cut the valve section out and use like that. Pull till you feel them 'bottoming out'.
TB111 will work perfectly - no need to try and degrease any wood with it. I've done a few glue-ups with it with lignum vitae no problems at all. lignum is the oiliest wood in the world by quite a big margin. ;) The main thing with it is perfect mating surfaces - no gaps.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 07:30:07 pm »
TB 3 is an excellent glue. However it doesn't fare well if you need to make a correction to the limb with a heat gun(not usually a problem in a wood laminated bow unless it takes too much stringfollow, or is very narrow). A good bowmakers epoxy or urac or resorcinol you won't have any troubles with heating.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 06:19:50 am »
Ok I ordered some unibond. My concern with the inner tubes is the thickness of them. I was planning to clamp into perry reflex on my bench with blocks under the tips and handle and clamps in the center of the limbs. Won't the thickness of the rubber interfere with accurate clamping?

Offline WhitefeatherFout

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 01:46:09 pm »
Just clamp the bow at the handle and tips if need be then wrap with the inner tubes.  I wrap mine with shrink wrap first to help hold it together while wrapping the inner tube strips. 

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 04:38:21 pm »
I usually wrap with stretch wrap, then wrap with tubes then post and clamp no problems
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 05:12:05 pm »
Ok I ordered some unibond. My concern with the inner tubes is the thickness of them. I was planning to clamp into perry reflex on my bench with blocks under the tips and handle and clamps in the center of the limbs. Won't the thickness of the rubber interfere with accurate clamping?

The inner tubes are negligible thickness if cut into strips first.