Author Topic: Osage Tempering ?  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Osage Tempering ?
« on: January 07, 2017, 07:42:53 pm »
Hi fellas  I have a bow I have been working on for the last couple of months & Im about ready to go to long string but it had a lateral bend as well as some deflex in one limb that I heat straitened out  & ended up with just shy of 2 in. Of reflex 1/2 natural 1/2 heat induced and I don't want to lose my corrections so I plan to heat temper the whole bow at some point in the tiller at what point do you guys heat temper your bows ? It's the one on the bottom bellow the hydrometer ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Badger

Re: Osage Tempering ?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 08:16:01 pm »
   I usually heat temper on a cawl when I feel I am pretty close to bracing it. I most often re heat when almost finished.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 08:39:31 pm »
If I know I'm going to heat treat, I usually tiller to the intended draw length and just a smidge less than the intended draw weight, knowing it'll pick up a little from the heat treating. Then I remove tool marks, do my first run of sanding (50 grit) then I heat treat. I wait that long because I don't want to loose any of the compression benefits from removing too much belly wood after treating. Not saying this is the best way to do it, but it works for me.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 12:43:52 pm »
While you are heat straightening the stave you are also lightly tempering it. I usually temper the whole belly while straightening it then near the end of the tillering I will temper it again.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 02:05:24 pm »
I do exactly like Steve, but I don't temper all my osage bows
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 02:38:35 pm »
Thanks for the help Do you guys heat temper back into the fades but not the handle ?  This is my first heat tempered handle bow.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 04:37:51 pm »
Yes, I start in the fades and work out to about 4" to 5" from the tips; only the working portion of the limbs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 05:05:57 pm »
Pat and I are the closest.  I take a pencil and mark the grain after growth ring is pulled down and rough out from that line . I rough my bows to 5/8-3/4 thick 1-5/8 or so wide and straighten at that point. It may go back to bench sevaral times . But by the time I get it straight usually it is tempered. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!