Author Topic: Hypothetical board bow  (Read 1922 times)

Offline MulchMaker

Hypothetical board bow
« on: December 31, 2016, 12:14:20 pm »
While I'm waiting on staves to dry I've been reading and reading and came across this http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,983.0.html could this be used on hickory pallets spliced together to make usable board bow? I'm sure it wouldn't be the prettiest or longest bow in the world but could it be done if you dodged the nail holes?

Offline bushboy

Re: Hypothetical board bow
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 12:58:39 pm »
I've made a couple from pallets,they were full lenght though.one was birch that cracked at a grain swirl after a few hundred shots and the other I gifted so i'm not sure,it was a light weight red oak bow for a medicine woman.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 01:07:01 pm »
Thanks for the Reply Bushboy, If I could get a usable bow out of it and back it with "Salvation Silk" it might be worth the lesson in tillering. I'd have to buy a new saw so I'm just trying to justify the purchase.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 01:09:39 pm »
I would say no on pallet wood for bows. YOu need straight grained stock with no knots. None. No matter how small.
More on my site.
Jawge
http://traditionalarchery101.com/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 01:35:05 pm »
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 01:47:44 pm »
Thanks for that link Bushboy nice work on that by the way. George lots of information on your site been there quite a few times already. It's been a reference for me since the beginning. So if I split the advice I have gotten already do it if my pallet I have has no knots. Cost will be glue one of those fancy Japanese saws and time...lessons learned may be priceless. Still on the fence cause I'm almost certain it will break

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 08:23:32 pm »
Yeah way to many knots in my pallet, not saying it can't be done just not by me at my skill level at the time. But I bet that splice joint I found in the ole archives will come in handy someday. Maybe if I find a nice pallet sometime I could do a one piece. Thanks for taking a look and responses too guys
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 08:31:35 pm by MulchMaker »