Author Topic: Canvas tent recomendations  (Read 3375 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Re: Canvas tent recomendations
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2016, 10:19:21 pm »
I have been to Colorado on elk hunts for 8 years. We have stayed in large 15x15 event tents, enclosed trailors, springbar tent and what is called a cabin tent. Never used a wood stove but we bow hunt and weather is not extreme. Friends from Denver have a Davis Wall Tent that is 12x14 with metal interior frame poles. It also has a small awning with sides out the front to set under and cook under if weather is bad. They use a propane stove that vents out the stove pipe hole. Another Denver friend also has a Davis Wall tent that is 10x12 and it has poles that stand along the outside walls and must be staked and tied down. It also has inside ridge poles. Both are excellent and sturdy tents. I personally do not care for staking and running guide lines all around the tent.
Davis Tent Company out of Denver is a excellent wall tent choice. They run a "seconds" sale sometimes with minor blemish on there tents and also any returns or no pick-ups. Worth checking into those.
What I consider the easiest tent to set up but not as great as a Davis tent is the Reliable Tents or Trek Tents that have a ridge pole and two side angle poles. I believe those are 9x12 and maybe 12x14.
You may find out that you want a sleeping tent and then a cook tent to keep smells and such separate. An EZ-up with sides make an excellent cook tent and place to relax in.
One other item to look at is the Eccotemp hot shower. Uses propane and 12 volt battery to give you a hot shower. You will love that you have it!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 10:28:37 pm by nclonghunter »
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 01:26:54 am »
Kyle,
As Longhunter mentioned, that cooking tent is very good idea in bear country, and if you are not doing thr "ronnyvuo" thing use whatever works.  One advantage of the tipi, your fire is inside, and usually always going when you are "home".  With a one pole, you can have a tent stove inside and a rain fly outside for cooking, etc.  With a one pole, you do have to be sure it is square when you set the corners, minor math AxA + BxB= CxC.  Remember too that canvas stretches with age, and does need some care.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline chamookman

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2016, 04:49:45 am »
I love tent camping and have stayed in just about every style of tent that there is over the Years. Have to say that a Teepee is the most enjoyable. Nothing like it on a windy sleeting/snowy night - comfy in Your nest, a bit kindling to feed the fire toasty and dry ! Would love to have one, but just don't fit My needs. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.