Author Topic: hammer stone?  (Read 1319 times)

Offline paulc

hammer stone?
« on: December 20, 2016, 06:00:40 pm »
So what does everyone use for a hammer stone?  I have been pulling really nice looking and sized river rock from the condo landscaping and my knapping material breaks it after a couple whacks.  So I am guessing I need to cook the knapping stone more but I also wondered if I need different hammer stones.  This stuff I have access to know is solid quartz when it busts open.

Any suggestions on hammer stones for someone outside of Savannah and it is all landscape stone or sand.....

THanks, Paul

Offline aaron

Re: hammer stone?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 08:11:17 pm »
there's a lot of trial and error when choosing hammerstones. One thing they all have in common is durability- you want one that doesn't break. Some people prefer sandstone but not just any sandstone will work. Others prefer harder rocks like quartzite or porphyry. It also depends on what you are knapping. If you are knapping something really tough, a softer hammerstone will often work. For easy materials like obsidian, I use a sandstone for late stages and a harder porphyry for spalling and such.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Orrum

Re: hammer stone?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 10:36:28 pm »
Hey my sandstone breaks easy when I forget and let it get rained on. The stuff has to be dry.
Knapping....If your hobby does not consume you then you have no hobby.