Author Topic: blunt tips vs. broadheads  (Read 8524 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: blunt tips vs. broadheads
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 10:08:36 pm »
Couple of the "farm" stores near me sell trailers. When trailer manufacturer ships 'em to the stores they use styrofoam blocks for some purpose and stores reuse those blocks to prop trailer tongue off ground. Stores end up with extras of these blocks. I go around and collect the extras!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JustJake

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 09:00:34 pm »
Anyone use regular 3D foam deer target's?  I've been wondering if primitive arrows pull out OK. I use glue on steel broad heads and I've had a couple heads pull off inside the target

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 10:15:16 pm »
Styrafoam for  broadheads  stone or steel... is my thing.........
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 08:05:13 am »
We use the feed bags the corn comes in from the feed stores. We buy it for attracting deer and save a few bags. Save one and fill it with walmart bags over time and stuff it up.

When the bag is destroyed, shove walmart bags into a new feed bag and start over.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 02:36:32 pm »
Jake:
I have attended the North American Longbow Safari for many of the 30+ years it has been held, including the first one.  3D commercial foam targets have been the standard at most of these shoots.  It has been a broadhead shoot with up to 60 targets over a 2 day time frame.  I have seen very few broadheads pulled off inside the targets over the years.  It seems that making sure the interior of the ferrule is extremely clean helps to keep the head on the shaft.  I use a small propane torch to install ferruled heads and always run the flame up in the ferrule for a time before placing the head on the shaft with quality hot melt glue.  That being said, remember that commercial 3D targets are made from a "heavier" foam to help with longevity and therefore will "hold" the point more than regular styrofoam.  And 2 blade heads can be removed from the target much easier than multiple blade heads.  Tapered raw wood without finish seems to help hold heads on also.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 10:59:08 pm by jimmi the sammi »

Offline JustJake

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2016, 10:03:35 pm »
Thanks Jimmi