Author Topic: Duck hunting gun?  (Read 2335 times)

Offline okie64

Duck hunting gun?
« on: December 09, 2016, 11:59:35 pm »
I am thinking of buying my son a shotgun for Christmas since he loves to duck hunt. I've always been a Remington guy and I have an 1100 that I've hunted with  since I was 14. My son has an 870 that my dad gave him but it is a left handed model as is my 1100 since my dad and I shoot left handed. This poses a problem for my son since the safety is backwards. What are you guys thoughts on the mossberg835 and 500 models or any other good duck hunting shotguns?

Offline chamookman

Re: Duck hunting gun?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 03:58:42 am »
Sadly, Remington isn't the company they were years ago - pretty much turning out crap now. If I was going buy a new Fowling piece, I'd get either a Benelli SBE Auto loader or Benelli Nova Pump - Bullet proof ! My .02 - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 07:03:22 am »
I've never duck hunted but use a 835 turkey hunting and I couldn't imagine what it would feel like shooting those 3 1/2" magnums all morning. If you go the route of the Italian guns, Stoeger makes a nice shot gun that is every bit as good as the higher priced ones. I got rid of mine and bought a Barreta and I'm still kicking my butt.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline okie64

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 09:07:50 am »
Chamookman, that was my thoughts exactly on the Remington's. I've handled a few of the 870 express models and they feel like junk to me. I will definitely consider the benellis.

Mullet, I'm with you on shooting those 3-1/2's but you know how these younger guys are, doesn't seem to bother them nearly as bad. I looked at a Stoeger at bass pro and it seemed like a pretty solid gun.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 01:12:45 pm »
I've always used a 870 but it's an older one the new express does fell cheep. Bennelli nova is a good starter gun
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 01:58:13 pm »
Not hard to switch the safety around on a 870
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Stoker

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 06:07:20 pm »
I've always used a 870 but it's an older one the new express does fell cheep. Bennelli nova is a good starter gun

Sounds like me.. Been pimping the wingmaster 3'' since '79.. Son runs the Bennelli Super nova it is a nice gun.. I like the large trigger guard works well with a glove
Note - You may won't to put in the Graco recoil reducer when running 3 1/2'' stuff like Black clouds
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Adam

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 06:39:03 pm »
I've used a Mossberg 835 and Benelli Super Nova and I've been happy with both.  I never had any trouble with either one, but tend to favor the Benelli now because it is synthetic and my Mossberg is wood.  I like not having to worry about it in the marsh.  The Mossberg safety position on the tang is nice if left and right handers might both be using it.

Offline okie64

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 07:55:12 pm »
Thanks for all the input fellas. I went with the benelli nova. If he wants to upgrade to an automatic someday that's up to him. Hard to believe the price tag on those things. my dad bought my 1100 for me in 1989 for $250. The new automatics nowadays are bringing $800 minimum :o

Buckeye guy, that thought had crossed my mind but it still throws the shells out in his face. And then there's the confusion if someone else picks it up thinking it's left handed but the safety is backwards. That could end up not so well. I figured if he's gonna duck hunt seriously he may as well have something that suits him a little better.