Author Topic: Cedar Bark  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
Cedar Bark
« on: March 09, 2008, 02:46:34 pm »
NW (USA & Canada) Coastal Indians used Western Red Cedar as one of their basic raw materials.  The wood was used for houses, canoes, and art in the form of masks and totem poles.  They stripped the bark of the tree and shredded the cambium layer to make cloth, sleeping/floor mats, and rope and fishing line.  My question is, has anyone on this forum used the fiber as a bow backing?  It seems it may be in the same league as flax?  It comes off the tree in long 10-12 strips.  I was thinking that it could be used wet and stretched on like rawhide, or it could be shredded and applied like sinew.  Has anyone tried this?

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

brian melton

Re: Cedar Bark
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 03:51:37 pm »
Keith,

Short answer... I don't think so, never seen it done before. Hows the bows coming?? The vine maple I cut while you were here is a bow now, just needs sanding, and finish..

Brian

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 08:26:21 pm »
Brian..just noticed where you live....got a Son lives there too....works for Weyerhauser.....names Jeremy Roberts

As for the Bark....wouldnt waste my time on it.....not when you know the outcome of Rawhide or Sinew....or Cherry Bark for that matter.......JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

brian melton

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 10:56:19 pm »

Do't know the name, but know a few people at weyerhauser. Head of security for this region Sid Strong, and forester John Todd... sure your son knows their names if he works out of the cosmopilis mill....

Brian

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 01:10:27 am »
Thanks for the responses Gentlemen.  I know Cedar bark is a tough fiber, I might have to experiment with it sometime since I've got some that's been peeled and drying in my shop for about 5 years... 

Brian - Sounds like you are a bit further along on your bow.  Haven't done anything with the Vine Maple.  I have started a breakdown with the Cascara billets, and have got a bit further with the IPE and bamboo.  I have some Perry reflex in it, and have glued on some hardwood tips.  The next step is getting my tillering rack setup in the garage.  I just got back from a couple of weeks in Europe, and have been working on vintage Triumph motorcycles in anticipation of spring...   ;D  Working for a living and too many hobbies!

PM me or call if you are interested in going to Glass Butte this month.

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...