Author Topic: Brain Twisting Guess ?  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Brain Twisting Guess ?
« on: December 04, 2016, 07:00:24 am »
Hi Fellas  I have a osage sapling stave that I'm chasing a little here a little there , but in the end my guess is I'm going to end up with about 64 in. Long 1 1/8 wide & 1/2 thick , so for a bendy self bow design I figure my thickness taper would be Aprox. 1/2 thick at the handle tapering to 5/16 at 5 in. short of the tips, 54 in. Working limb total .so for you guys familiar with bendy designs do you think I could end up with a 64 in. Self bow 48 lb. @ 29 in. ? I know the question is no more then speculation but just trying to get a idea if I'm in the ball park ? Of course I could pike to 60 in. Or sinew this stave is a rock hard like steel 15 yr old stave ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Badger

Re: Brain Twisting Guess ?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 09:36:57 am »
 The width is ok but I don't think you have enough thickness. At 60" you would be very close, probably ok. You can always pike after the fact.

Offline JonW

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 09:45:37 am »
If you nail the tiller early maybe.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 12:44:49 pm »
I never try to predetermine the thickness of a bow before it is built or try to get a stave to a specific close to thickness before the bow is tillered. The proper thickness for any wood bow is what it turns out to be after properly tillered and shot in.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 01:05:12 pm »
Thanks guys  Appreciate it  I will give it go just didn't know if 1/2 in. Thickness that nature is leaving me on this one was worth a shot at 64 in. Self bow or just plan a shorter sinew bow like the Beadman says bow making is problem solving 101  I will try the 64 in. And go from there
If you fear failure you will never Try !

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 01:33:39 pm »
I think you are going to be better off sinewing and starting at 60 inch. Build up the sinew thickness at the handle a good bunch. Sinew doesn't add much stiffness but you can keep adding it to the handle area if you haven't got enough. Too much bend at then handle is a no-no!
The shorter the bow the less thickness you need.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 02:26:13 pm »
I think you got great advice from above,, try it and see, keep records for sure,, even if you got 40 on the self bow it could be a close range hunter,, with the option to always sinew back at any time,, :)