Author Topic: American Beech flatbow  (Read 6190 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: American Beech flatbow
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 08:10:49 pm »
Thanks guys! Glad to hear some other experiences with this wood. Everything from coons in southern Illinois to wooden planes in the UK!

P.S. Gutshot- it's not just a Kentucky thing, people do it a lot up here near Rochester as well  ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:30:27 pm by upstatenybowyer »
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline turmoiler

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 08:36:48 pm »
Nice bow!
And like Mike said obviously completely different from european beech. I've tried this wood, but only one time  - no bow wood!

Hello Simon, can you tell us how was your experience with european beech as bow wood?

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 12:36:39 pm »
Nice bow!
And like Mike said obviously completely different from european beech. I've tried this wood, but only one time  - no bow wood!

Hello Simon, can you tell us how was your experience with european beech as bow wood?

This wood takes excessiv set and after a few nice shoots it is a wet noodle
And it is  a really no attractive wood, here were I live this wood has a lot of lime included in its structure  - so all tools become dull in short usage. There are a lot of alternatives, so I don't use it anymore
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline turmoiler

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 07:22:27 pm »
What a pity, european beech is the most common hardwood in my country. I have a pair of boards with perfect grain that I wanted to try, but now I will use them for something else.