Author Topic: Questions about harvesting Mulberry  (Read 2474 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Questions about harvesting Mulberry
« on: November 30, 2016, 10:00:20 am »
I have Zero experience with Mulberry. My cousin knows somebody that wants one either trimmed or removed. My questions are
#1 is Mulberry a white wood? I thought I read something about it being related to Osage so I'm wondering if I harvest during growing season if it will slip bark and cambium or if you remove sapwood and chase ring anyway.
#2 Any tips on what to look for like reading bark or is it basic look for straight with little or no twist in bark.
#3 Any tips on how to handle after harvesting
Any tips would be appreciated if it isn't a white wood I'll probably try to harvest some soon, if it is I may wait till growing season. Of course if he wants it gone I don't want to wait to long
Thanks
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Questions about harvesting Mulberry
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 10:48:21 am »
It is like Osage. Read that bark like any other tree. After it is cut you will want to seal then ends just like any other wood.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

JacksonCash

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 10:51:31 am »
Hopefully you get some good staves from that, I've had my eye on a tree in the neighborhood for some time. The property just sold, so maybe the new owners won't want purple stained everything and will want it gone!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 11:15:25 am »
Thanks JoJo, if I'm understanding correctly then no advantage to wait till growing season. Have to try to get at it soon.
Yea Jackson, there probably a good possibility your new neighbors won't like that tree. They can be unpopular  for the reasons you stated
Bjrogg

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 11:30:51 am »
As with any wood, it is simpler to have the bark slip. Once it is dried on it makes it more work.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 11:36:21 am »
My first bow was from a mulberry tree off the farm. I was told at the moontree gathering that if I make another mulberry bow to leave the sap wood on it instead of chasing a ring. He said they made a better bow that away. I have yet to make another bow from mulberry so I wouldn't know!  But I cut mine in the summer and the bark slipped right off. Good luck!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 11:38:09 am »
It's just like osage.  It has sapwood that can be removed or left on.  The rings are usually thicker than osage.  I roughed out a mulberry a while back.   I left one sapwood ring on the back.  It made the bow look a little like yew but with 3/8" thick rings.  I would cut it now if I had the chance.  I don't like cutting wood in the heat and bugs. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 12:50:23 pm »
I would cut it as soon as possible. I've lost too many opportunities by procrastinating.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 01:04:40 pm »
Thanks guys for all the information. I think I'm gonna try set it up for this weekend to harvest it. I know what your saying DC. If I don't get it soon he might even pay someone to get rid of it.
Bjrogg

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 01:31:56 pm »
If I don't get it soon he might even pay someone to get rid of it.
Bjrogg

There ya go! If you play your cards right you'll have staves and bucks in your jeans ;D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 01:41:18 pm »
That would be nice DC. Right now I have more staves than I do bucks in my jeans and santa gonna look pretty tight around here.
Bjrogg

Offline chamookman

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 03:46:30 am »
Treat Mullberry the same as Hickory - it likes to retain moisture.  bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 12:42:35 pm »
I've made quite a few mulberry bows over the years from all heartwood to all sapwood and everything in between. The more sapwood in the mulberry bow will make a thicker limb. I treated mulberry much like osage when cutting and seasoning. Mulberry is softer and lighter than osage but will make a bow that performs as well as osage because of the physical weight difference. After a few years it is hard to tell the visual difference between the two.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC