Author Topic: Rate my Self bow  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Toxophilite

Rate my Self bow
« on: November 26, 2016, 01:08:09 am »
I occasionally knock out red oak self bows for fun. But no one I know knows anything about archery so I was hoping you guys could take a look at my most recent project and tear me a new one!

Also I really hope I don't have to do SEVEN verification tests for every post.

Offline Toxophilite

Re: Rate my Self bow
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 01:14:54 am »
Couple more pics.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 01:33:29 am »
The verification stuff goes away after a while.
Your looking for some input on your bows?
Best to post photos of your bows front profile, and unbraced, braced and fully drawn
All photographed at the best angle to see these profiles best.
Cheers welcome to the site

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 01:54:40 am »
Like goat said we need more pics, but the first pic looks like most of the bend is at the fade. But that's a guess and why we need more pics
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 03:49:15 am »
First glance and it looks like it is bending too much at the fades and maybe braced a bit high for a selfbow.
The way a bow should bend is connected to the front view profile eg. how it tapers in width. Once we see the front view then we can say if your limbs bend matches what it should be. Unstrung pictures show how much set there is and where on the limb it is.

Offline Green Mountain Man

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 09:14:13 am »
Im with Mike its got some bend in the fades,and the brace height seems high
How thick are the limbs?
Some more pics would help
You've got a nice shop!

To ride,shoot straight and speak the truth

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 09:42:27 am »
First glance and it looks like it is bending too much at the fades and maybe braced a bit high for a selfbow.
The way a bow should bend is connected to the front view profile eg. how it tapers in width. Once we see the front view then we can say if your limbs bend matches what it should be. Unstrung pictures show how much set there is and where on the limb it is.
+1   Also what are the stats of the bow. How long is it? What the draw length? And poundage?
Northern Ute

Offline Toxophilite

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 05:28:12 pm »
+1   Also what are the stats of the bow. How long is it? What the draw length? And poundage?

I don't have anymore pictures to share right now, will take some more when I can get back to the shop.

It's a four foot bow, 24" draw @ about 30 lbs.

You guys might be right about the fades bending too much.  I had an issue with uneven limb stiffness and kept overcompensating.  Surely I messed it up there.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 11:48:29 pm »
For long life of a bow, I'd make a bow at least 55" long to draw 24". Agree the brace is too high.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 11:25:56 am »
Occasionally I make a bow  for a youngster, usually about as long as your bow. I find tillering these short bows to difficult at best. It seems like one scrape too many happens often during their tillering, I often end up fighting tiller with one limb going weak and the other too strong