Author Topic: Hairline crack on side a problem?  (Read 2794 times)

cool_98_555

Hairline crack on side a problem?
« on: November 20, 2016, 11:46:19 pm »
Hello everyone,

I've got a great bow in the works here.  Osage snakey bow, 68" and 1 1/8" wide.  Currently it is 7/8" thick on the limbs and it is just ready for tillering (lined the tips up today).  Problem is, I found this hairline crack on one side of one limb and i'm not sure if it will pose a problem when I start tillering.  I have filled it with superglue, but i've never had a crack in this kind of spot before.  Crack runs about 6 inches down the limb.  Check the pictures and please let me know what you think.

Thank you!

http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/cool98555/media/IMG_1029_zpsyiybtfvo.jpg.html
http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/cool98555/media/IMG_1028_zpsgxczna9i.jpg.html
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:51:59 pm by cool_98_555 »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Hairline crack on side a problem?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 12:09:10 am »
I'm sorry to say this but that crack is a game changer.It'll most surely break there.It runs to the edge.It's not running in the growth ring so it is'nt a luminar seperation in the growth ring.You can try it on the tillering tree but the outlook is'nt very good.Sorry.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

cool_98_555

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 12:16:31 am »
Oh no.....:(   What a shame to hear something like that....put so many hours into shaping this bow already and the snakey profile on this one is just beautiful....

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 06:16:04 am »
If its a total loss anyway, you could chase-out the crack and see how much width is left - may be enough for a different design of bow - may be a snakey short-bow in there? How far along the limb is it - near enough the centre to cut it out and splice it back together to get a short bow, or splice in a handle to put some length back in?

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 07:07:57 am »
If nothing else, you could cut that limb off and save the other to splice a new piece on at the handle.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 09:16:04 am »
I'm seeing 2 things there.  One that runs down the limb and seems to be following a growth ring and the other that goes across. 

If you are talking about the one that runs down the limb then unless you want to make an 80# bow then 7/8" thick is quite thick.  I would run some thin crazy glue in the crack while clamping it and then start working it down a bit, using a shallow D profile, to see how much of the crack disappears
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 09:27:27 am »
cool...Yes that's a good idea fix.I'm sorry I sounded so gloom and doom.there is a good chance your bow can make it yet.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 12:40:47 pm »
looks like the crack might go away as suggested,, that crack will dictate the possible draw weight of the bow,,,but sometimes those things turn out better than expected,,  :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 04:31:40 pm »
When you remove the crack, either use a drawknife or a knife and whittle it out to at least see how far in it goes.
In the diagram go from the top down...thick part down.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

cool_98_555

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 05:24:45 pm »
I can't remove any more width from the bow.  It's already at 1 1/8", which is narrow enough.  From the crack to the back of the bow it is 5/8", so I think I might just take some more wood off to start with 5/8" thick for the limbs.  I probably won't be able to get 80# like I originally wanted with this bow, but it's better to have a bow that shoots than a broken one I suppose, even if it is lighter than I originally wanted.  I suppose I can pike it later too to increase the weight if it survives.  It's at 68" now and I have a 29" draw so I could probably afford to take it down to 66" and still be ok....

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 06:35:40 pm »
if you want 80# ,, you could always sinew back, ,after you get it floor tillered,, or braced,,

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 07:32:02 pm »
Do you know how it happened? Were you bending the bow sideways at that point? It's time to attach blame >:D >:D so you don't do the same thing on the next one. ;D

cool_98_555

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 12:14:58 am »
The crack was there when I got the stave, and when I tried to narrow it to avoid thd crack, it was still present

cool_98_555

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 11:42:06 am »
UPDATE:  Just took the bow down to 5/8" thick on the limbs to avoid the crack, and there is no more crack on the bow!  There was also a crack perpendicular to the rings, and I scraped that off without losing too much limb width.  Bow is a little lighter, so I think i'll be piking it from 68" to 64" tonight, then starting on the tillering if string is still aligned through the center.  Wish me luck!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 08:07:54 pm »
great news, sounds like there is a bow in there,, :)