Author Topic: Dang deer!  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Dang deer!
« on: November 18, 2016, 10:01:28 am »
Before I built my house the local kids made a 4 wheeler race track in the field next to my land. They rode up the steep bank by my mailbox and stripped the topsoil completely off down to the chirt. They rode every day, sometimes multiple times a day. None of the kids had permission to be on the land but that is what happens when a parent turns a youngster loose with a 4 wheeler unsupervised.

The land owner asked me to put a stop to the trespassing, it took some harsh talk to the youngsters but I finally got their attention.

I was left with a bank that washed red clay mud across the road every time it rained. It took me 10 years of putting grass clippings on the bank and building the top soil to get a mowable growth. Next I started planting pine trees  to stabilize the bank even more.

I got a couple of trees to grow but the poor chirt ground made their survival difficult.

I finally got one pine to flourish but it had a visitor last night, dang it.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 10:07:11 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Zuma

Re: Dang deer!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 02:49:42 pm »
I sure hope that buck reads this thread so he will know how
much dern trouble you went through to make him a scratchin stick. >:D
Is there any chance he will offer you up some steaks and jerky? :)
I hope you can tar and tape the tree and save it.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 04:28:56 pm »
 Couldn't say it any better than Zuma already did. At least you know there's still a buck around. Maybe you've done your part and Mother Nature can do the rest.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 11:44:42 pm »
Shoot that booger, Eric ;).
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 11:49:11 pm »
Eric....I know what you mean.I've planted thousands of trees here.The deer will stunt them a lot rubbing and browsing but eventually with the right conditions it gets tall enough and they finally will leave them alone.Seems the small bucks like those little trees too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 05:37:48 pm »
He came back for a second round last night and really worked on what was left over. I put a trail cam up facing the tree to see how big he is if he comes back.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 12:13:52 am »
Here is Yosemite the bucks have been beating the crap out of everything! Anything less than an inch had been destroyed! Over an inch up to about 3 inches is gettin a thrashin!