Author Topic: sinew-backed hhb gullwing advice?  (Read 1558 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

sinew-backed hhb gullwing advice?
« on: November 02, 2016, 09:24:26 pm »
Hello all,

So this is my first post, and my first attempt at a short sinew-backed gullwing (I've made many other bow types over the past 10 years). It's 51" ntn, 1 3/8" wide at the handle tapering to 3/4" wide at the nocks. I floor tillered the green stave to just bending prior to setting the handle back with steam and left it in the form for a few months. I applied 2 layers of sinew about 2 weeks ago and will probably start working it in about another 2.

The advice I'm seeking is how to go about tillering. Should I start taking wood off the sides or belly? How much should the handle bend? What is the shape of a well-tillered gullwing bow when braced? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PatM

Re: sinew-backed hhb gullwing advice?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 11:00:44 pm »
 I think your limb transition is too abrupt and looks like a hinge problem that will be hard to eliminate. A gull wing should be spread out over the limb.

Offline maatus

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 01:29:04 am »
I'm not the most experienced to answer, I've made only few of them but: it seems like the limbs are way too thick. Once you applied sinews, it should've taken some reflex already. I'd now remove wood from the belly just after the handle towards the tips, tillering it very close, then add the rest of sinew and hopefully those hinges straightens out.

If it has enough lenght for your drawlenght, I think you could make the handle little bit stiffer but otherwise you want it to bend slightly when full draw. I will post some pics in hour or so, once I get to the laptop. Good luck!

edit: Added pics
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 02:24:01 am by Markus O »

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 07:48:44 am »
Thanks for the responses. I'd love to see some pics from those who have had success with this type. Cheers :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 07:50:23 am »
Pat,

Got it. Hopefully I've still got enough thickness to remedy the hinge. Wish me luck!

Markus,

That makes a lot of sense. I'll proceed as per suggested. ;)

Nigerian Proverb