Author Topic: Tillering string  (Read 4639 times)

Offline Zedd

Tillering string
« on: October 14, 2016, 10:21:55 am »
First, this is tied with the best forum ever (the other being the classicflyrod forum, for bamboo fly fisherman). I've been one of those lurkers and gotta say, the first bow I've made is due to this forum. It is amazing to find folks with such an arcane craft so willing to share advice. My question is regarding the tillering string. What knots should be used and are there any preferences for material. Also, when tillering, how tight should the string be before pulling the bow down? Anyway, any advise regarding this would be very helpful.

Offline DC

Re: Tillering string
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 11:32:26 am »
A loop on one end and a timber hitch on the other. Make it as tight as you can within reason. Make it easy to get on and off. :D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 12:11:17 pm »
If you are using bow string material I agree with DC. I also use para cord for the early tillering process with slip knots at each end. Once I get to brace height I make a permanent string for that bow...with a loop in the top and bowyers knot on the bottom.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Chris3kilo

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 12:41:21 pm »
I'm a new bowyer as well I should warn you! :)
But I use a paracord with a Perfection loop in both ends. Works fine for me.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 12:49:58 pm »
I use paracord for long string but I really hate it. It stretches in beginning like crazy and then it stays like that. It is original 550 and I heard from many that theirs don't stretch which is weird to me.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 02:21:25 pm »
A loop on one end and a timber hitch on the other. Make it as tight as you can within reason. Make it easy to get on and off. :D

X2 what DC said.  I use fast flight material for my tillering strings.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 05:12:09 pm »
  I just find a bow string that will fit as a long string.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 08:48:24 pm »
I use sash cord for the long string and old bow strings for tillering. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Zedd

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 10:44:07 pm »
I'm using a sash cord now. Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like I am on track...

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 11:08:55 pm »
I twisted up a long FF tillering string with a loop on each end.  Dnznbar gave me a small aluminium string spacer that has 2 holes in it.  I wrap the string through it to shorten it.  Each wrap takes off about a half inch.  It is so much quicker and easier than adjusting a bowyers not. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 01:39:09 am »
I twisted up a long FF tillering string with a loop on each end.  Dnznbar gave me a small aluminium string spacer that has 2 holes in it.  I wrap the string through it to shorten it.  Each wrap takes off about a half inch.  It is so much quicker and easier than adjusting a bowyers not.

I like that!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 05:57:45 am »
Del uses an old wheel bearing (metal loop) and wraps the tiller string around and through the bearing to shorten it

Offline loon

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 06:09:28 am »
Awesome! Sounds a lot better than tying knots with shims too...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 06:46:51 am »
I just make up a long Flemish twist string with a loop in one end and bowyers knot in the other and adjust to what I need, never had much trouble with taking it on and off. I did have some trouble with my first one from D97, I like it because it don't stretch but had trouble with the knot slipping, now I go 3 wraps instead of 2 and no more trouble , you need to be sure to pull the tag end of the bowyers knot tight and to the back of the bow. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good