Author Topic: First Penobscot style bow  (Read 3285 times)

Offline RatherBinTheWoods

First Penobscot style bow
« on: October 14, 2016, 09:53:03 am »
So this is my first post on PA.

I am an avid reader and am constantly amazed at the incredible level of craftsmanship displayed on these pages.

I am a sub ten bow novice and it’s taken a while for me to be happy enough with one of my bows to post pics.

This one came about after Del Cat gave me a couple of short Osage left overs to practice with.

I knew immediately what I wanted to use it for so I chased a ring on the back and slightly reflexed the limbs. It was taking about #50 to take it to 12 inches on a loose string.

The main bow is a hickory board oriented so the growth rings run back to belly (quarter sawn). It was a fairly dubious board which did have some lateral grain violation onto the back so I took it to just under #45 at 24” before gaffer taping the back bow on to see what difference it would make.

Even with fairly stretchy paracord strings under very little tension it it was increasing draw by more than #10 so I decided to add a rawhide backing to the main bow to hopefully help it get to full draw without lifting splinters. I’m pleased to say it worked.

I also flattened the cross section a bit more than would perhaps be authentic for this style of bow just because I read that the mid-section take an awful lot of compression from this design and I thought this might help it along - not sure if it made any difference but it doesn't seem to have hurt.

Bows are connected with a thin rawhide strip as the Penobscot would have done originally and this made for a perfectly sturdy join. I added the cloth and additional rawhide (which is a bit more plains style) just because I like it.

There is a nice bit of bendy character on the back bow. Tiller doesn’t took quite right in this pic but hoping that may just be a bit of tension adjustment required on the back bow strings as the main bow looked pretty good on the rig - I’ll have a tinker.

It really flings the arrows out. No ‘compound’ effect but I wasn’t really expecting that with this little reflex in the back bow, if at all really, but it certainly doesn’t stack noticeably and I am happy with that. Be interested to get it on a chrony. There is a competition at the end of the month that I might take it too (if it’s not raining) and they might let me pop a few arrow through theirs.

Thanks to Del for his experience, advice and encouragement (as well as the Osage) that has gotten me to this stage.

Here’s the pics:

Offline Orrum

Re: First Penobscot style bow
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 10:28:48 am »
Wow I like the look of the back bow a lot!
Knapping....If your hobby does not consume you then you have no hobby.

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 11:02:01 am »
i think these bows are too close to each other so that there may be interfere. how about make the small one more reflex?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 11:39:09 am »
I'd say that looks very good for having only a small number of bows under your belt.  Challenging design and the tiller looks good.  Well done and welcome to PA,  nice to see another guy from "over there!"  Cheers
1’—>1’

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 01:46:31 pm »
I should add that the Osage was a bit left over from the stave from Clint's Monster Osage which he gave me when I was at the Classic.
It's the tree that keeps on giving :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 02:21:41 pm »
looks very nice,, congrats on your bow,, :)

Offline Emmet

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 04:30:55 pm »
I should add that the Osage was a bit left over from the stave from Clint's Monster Osage which he gave me when I was at the Classic.
It's the tree that keeps on giving :)
Del
Awesome!

I don't understand much on this type off bow. Whats the benefit.
It does look like it has a nice blend. Nice work!

Offline FilipT

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 05:04:27 pm »
So you tiller both bows and then you connect them?

Offline RatherBinTheWoods

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 07:09:51 pm »
Thanks for all your comments.

I tillered them separately until the last couple of inches and then finished them off together - only adjusting the main bow though.

I couldn't really find any detailed information about how these were originally made - especially how the draw weights of each was matched proportionally -  so for this one I made the back bow so that it was about #10 more than the main bow by the time it straightened its reflex. If anyone has more info on that I would be very interested.

I agree that the back bow may need  to be more highly reflexed if I hope to see the lessening in weight gain toward the end of the draw that this design is fabled to provide. There is not enough string angle on this attempt. Again if anyone who has more experience with this design who has any pointers they would be greatfully received.

I'll be taking this round the woods on our 3D course tomorrow hopefully so will let you know how it performs in terms or accuracy - just hope I have some arrows that match as I usually shoot something a bit lighter!