Author Topic: Glue on Riser/ yew knot help  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
Glue on Riser/ yew knot help
« on: October 09, 2016, 01:45:17 pm »
Hi folks,

I'm working on this yew stave I split, (against all advice to the contrary) and got two nice staves. This is the knotty slighty reflexed piece. 

Had a good time trying to flatten out the stave to get it flat. The wavy grain gave me grief. I'm not 100% satisfied with the glue lines. I can get my fingenail just inside it. (About 0.1mm thick). It is TB3 .
Should I remove and try again?

Or should glue joint hold?  This is the top limb.

This is my first glue on. I will remove  the lip on the fade and try and blend it better to the stave, I hope the thickness taper will pretty much stop the bend before it hits the fade, do I have enough thickness to hit 50# or over?

Will a 1.5 " long fade suffice?

Also there is a knot about  10 inches up the top limb. The angles worry me for crysals. I plan on saturating with CA glue.   

Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 01:49:21 pm by Tree_Ninja »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Glue on Riser/ yew knot help
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 03:43:52 pm »
1 1/2" fade can be enough. Handles usually pop off because the center(handle area) of the bow is bending. How thick is the handle area compared to the rest of the limb?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 04:01:39 am »
I wouldn't trust Titebond to hold with the gaps there. It needs perfect mating surfaces. You would have been better off with EA40 if you couldn't get the surfaces perfect. One trick to get them dead right is to lightly wet one piece, press them together and the water will only touch the 'high' spot on the other face. You could also steam the block and then clamp together, with plenty of pressure, leave to cool....perfect mating surfaces.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 09:20:19 am »
When I make a piece to glue on for a riser I put the two pieced together dry and hold them up with my fluorescent shop light in the background. If I can see light between the two pieces my mating surfaces still need a little work. I do the same for tip overlays.

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 11:38:37 am »
Thanks guys.

I held it up to the light when dry fitting. Only the one side had this little gap.  The stave is 7/8 of an inch thick  where it joins the riser.

I'll pop it off and maybe put another lamination in there as well.