Author Topic: Strange Find in an English Pub  (Read 4091 times)

Offline gpw

Re: Strange Find in an English Pub
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 08:19:56 am »
   Once  you shoot a good asymetrical bow , you won’t want to go back ...   Better arrow flight, No hand shock ... Just sayin’ ...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 09:29:10 am »
That type of archery is pretty fascinating. I once saw a demonstration of Japanese archery at a shoot. It was impressive and a far cry from my go out in the backyard and fling a few archery.  :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 11:01:28 am »
This scene from 'Shogun' made an indelible impression on me as a young teenager

#www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tv+series+shogun+archery+scene&view=detail&mid=8B80CAA3CD3351B3CCBA8B80CAA3CD3351B3CCBA&FORM=VIRE

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 06:03:11 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2016, 11:06:50 am »
You'll never know til you ask. What do you have to loose?
Oh yes, I'll ask, but I don't know when I'll be down that way.
It what we in the UK call "a long way" but you in the US call "just down the road"  ;) .That's about a 2 1/2 hour driv :-[.... mind my car would probably fit in the back of your cars!
Del (the wuss)

I went fishing Sunday, it was 2 and a half hours each way. lol
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 11:10:21 am »
That's how long it takes us to go on Summer holiday (vacation)!!!!!

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2016, 11:44:56 am »
Used to drive 1 1/2 hours daily each way to work

Of course if I had the wife in the car 2 1/2 hours would be a different story

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2016, 01:01:03 pm »
What you gonna do with that!!!  those bows are  weird , what sane man would make a bow like that,?  they'll never catch on
stick with the  normal English bows!!!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline gpw

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2016, 01:39:26 pm »
  Forget those Japanese bows with all the ceremony  ( unless you’re into that which is Cool too eh ? )  We’re talking Hidatsa bows ...   America’s pragmatic Indians.    PA mag. ran an article some time ago ...  Volume Three , Issue Four...   basically said it all ...  showed how to make them ... And considering ~48” -54” long , might be Great ”Hunting bows” ... ?  ( Worked for the Indians huh ? )    They do shoot flat , with great arrow flight  , and with no hand shock ...   It took me years to become brave enough to try it ...   Now  I like these the best  !!!     JMHO

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2016, 02:47:08 pm »
 ;) ;)
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2016, 06:35:21 pm »
That is one of the few bows I have not taken down from the beams in the 'Bowman' on the many occasions I have sat in the bar wearing tab & bracer with my bow in my lap and a pint of ale in my hand.
(The Merdon Bowman have their field behind the pub garden)
Wish I had known you were down that way Del (half a mile from me) I would have brought you the maple bow you made me to show you it's in near perfect condition, just a little set.

edit://
Landlords name is Mark, you will have some hard bargaining if you want that bow :/
In the 70s the pub changed from the "Dundridge Hotel" to "Hampshire Bowman" because Carol Montague, the landlords wife, was in the British Olympic Archery Team. She also founded the archery club next to the pub.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 06:46:40 pm by Matt_H »
Still Lurking here, gleaning knowledge and enjoying the view.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2016, 01:39:58 am »
2 1/2 hours?  That's only one Pink Floyd album away(or 3 Greatful Dead/Phish songs). Fire up the mp3 and roll out, be there before you know it. :laugh:
What's an mp3 ?
I can't find where to put the cassette in these new cars ;)
Del

Hey you can't put a cassette in my 73 Chevy k20 because it has an 8 track player lol
I like osage

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2016, 06:51:00 am »
Hey Matt, followed your link and discovered the Merdon page of excuses !!!!the wobbly knob saga made me choke on my coffee >:D ;D

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2016, 08:34:53 am »
That is one of the few bows I have not taken down from the beams in the 'Bowman' on the many occasions I have sat in the bar wearing tab & bracer with my bow in my lap and a pint of ale in my hand.
(The Merdon Bowman have their field behind the pub garden)
Wish I had known you were down that way Del (half a mile from me) I would have brought you the maple bow you made me to show you it's in near perfect condition, just a little set.

edit://
Landlords name is Mark, you will have some hard bargaining if you want that bow :/
In the 70s the pub changed from the "Dundridge Hotel" to "Hampshire Bowman" because Carol Montague, the landlords wife, was in the British Olympic Archery Team. She also founded the archery club next to the pub.
Cheers for the info. I'd happily trade a Yew character longbow (about 70# at 28") which has been patched too much to be a reliable shooter, and is ok for the wall. Left a message on their facebook page. No reply as yet.
If I go down that way, I'll try and tip you the wink.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.