Author Topic: New member newbie!  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Plastic_Jesus

New member newbie!
« on: September 27, 2016, 04:43:12 pm »
Hey guys, I just got approved today for the forums and I'm a brand new member. Haven't been looking around long but I've recently become interested in learning how to build myself a bow. Most of my research so far has been on where to find viable wood and so far it looks like Oregon white oak or hazelnut are my best options out in this part of the world if I want to be able to find it easily. So yesterday I cut down a 7.5ft long piece of california hazelnut ranging from 2" to 3.5" in diameter. It has a bit of swale to it towards one end, and has a pretty even curve to the full length of it but it is relatively straight compared to other options I've seen in my area. I've debarked it (mostly) and it is now sitting in my garage drying.

Now I don't have a bandsaw or a ferrier's rasp. What I do have is a draw knife that worked WONDERS getting the bark off cleanly. I also have one of those old cabinet scrapers looks like it was made of cast iron. Never used one before but I've been reading about scrapers being very important in making sure to smooth your wood before finishing.

Anyway, I'm reading over several posts on hazelnut bows and I'm trying to figure out what to do next and what part of the wood to use for what. Basically I am trying to figure out where to start.

Offline Lucasade

Re: New member newbie!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 05:30:05 pm »
Don't know if it handles the same but for advice on hazelnut from the UK you can't do much better thn Del the Cat's blog - search for Bowyer's Diary.

Offline Plastic_Jesus

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 06:28:45 pm »
One of the biggest questions I have is whether a 2" diameter stave will work. And should I split it? Or should I just work from the round?

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 08:58:04 pm »
Welcome to PA @ Plastic_Jesus , I hope you get that stave sized down and ready to become a bow!
Good luck with your projects, and the drawknife + scraper kit is more than enough to start off.. I made my first bow with a knife only and it works wonders 😊
~Isaia

Offline Plastic_Jesus

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 09:19:23 pm »
This is my first attempt at making a bow and I don't wanna screw it up. So I'm just trying to get as much advice as possible. The build alongs are helpful but a lot of the terminology is over my head. It is rough getting started when you have $0 to invest in books, tools, classes etc.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 09:25:34 pm »
Do a google search on "primitive archery terminology". You'll find all you need and more :D

Offline Plastic_Jesus

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 09:43:23 pm »
So for a hazelnut bow the bow back should be made up of the outermost wood of my stave right?

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 10:05:45 pm »
So for a hazelnut bow the bow back should be made up of the outermost wood of my stave right?

Correct, the back would be the wood directly under the bark.
I like osage

Offline Plastic_Jesus

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 12:06:30 am »
Okay, should I carve with the curve? Or use the curve as a reflex?

I can't seem to find anything that describes what a pyramid bow versus a d bow versus an ellipsis bow is...

Offline loon

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 12:57:08 am »
Okay, should I carve with the curve? Or use the curve as a reflex?

I can't seem to find anything that describes what a pyramid bow versus a d bow versus an ellipsis bow is...
A pyramid bow can be a D bow if the handle bends
pyramid just means the width tapers evenly.. afaik
ellipsis... elliptical? is just shape of bend at full draw

Offline FilipT

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 01:53:28 am »
Plastic Jesus, I am making currently two hazel bows and personally really like that wood. Drop me PM if you are interested, one of the bow type is suitable for sapling you mentioned.

Offline loon

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 02:03:25 am »
Plastic Jesus, I am making currently two hazel bows and personally really like that wood. Drop me PM if you are interested, one of the bow type is suitable for sapling you mentioned.
post a thread or link me??

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 04:50:19 am »
Welcome to PA , plastic_jesus hour bow is in that stave all you have to do now is get rid of all the wood that isn't your bow, but make sure you don't get rid of any wood that is your bow. I know you don't want to screw up but if you do which most people do, don't let that stop you figure out what went wrong and start another. I think one of the best things a new bowyer can do is harvest some wood, as much as you can so you can have a good supply of dry cured staves. I'm assuming your stave probably isn't dry yet if you just harvested it. If you removed bark and let it to dry you should probably put something on it for sealer like shellac. You need to apply where bark was "back of stave" and ends of stave or you will get drying checks "cracks" that could ruin your stave. Don't put any on "belly" split side of stave so moisture can slowly escape from there. You can speed the drying process some by "roughing out bow" to a "heavy floor tiller" just so it's starting to bend. You don't want to bend you stave much till it properly dries. Good Luck
PS for me this site and you tube videos where a tremendous help
Bjrogg
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline FilipT

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 06:04:12 am »
post a thread or link me??

No thread yet. Noticed yesterday that my bow stopped loosing weight. I am going to leave it like that for a week and put it on radiator.