Author Topic: Is this fixable?  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Justin.schmidt23

Is this fixable?
« on: August 22, 2016, 03:27:05 pm »
So I got my bow pretty close to floor tiller last night. Decided to put a chalk line down the middle to check the string tracking. This is what I got

So I took a step back and looked at everything. These staves I cut have pretty high crown and I can't tell if I jacked up my design by not bringing the crown flat across the stave or just a twist. Here's what I got:

This is the handle and fades despite what it looks like both fades measures the same

Bad design, preparation or just a bend?
"Good enough " is never good enough. Take pride in everything you do.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Is this fixable?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 03:51:23 pm »
You really can't tell how the string tracks until you brace the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 07:18:54 pm »
Your layout is a little wonky, if you get very straight lines from your fade to your tip it may change things.

I agree with Pat as well. I made a static osage recurve a month ago that had limbs going every which way unstrung, every thing was arrow straight with perfect string tracking when it was strung.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 08:36:50 pm »
I leave the handle full width and the nocks a good inch wide, at least until I brace the stave for the first time. That way I can make adjustments to track the string.

That can be the subject for another post if you are interested.

How wide are your nocks.

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 09:42:59 pm »
I'm haveing a hard time with the simplest thing of laying out the bow. Everything looks great until I get it down to floor tiller then it's crap city. George that would be great. Tips are 1/2" wide. Handle is roughly 1 1/14"

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 10:29:55 pm »
I don't think you are that far off, ,, just get it strung,, then make adjustments if needed,,,
if the string is to one side of the handle a bit,, shoot the arrow off that side,, and make that the top limb,,
if you think you need it to line up better do that after you see how it shoots,,

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 07:19:44 am »
Ok I can do that. I'm gonna let it dry out a while it's still extremely green.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 07:47:22 am »
George's suggestion mirrors what I do. I lay the bow out so handle, limbs and tips are wider than my end goal, and tiller from both sides and belly once the bow is first braced to make sure everything lines up properly. It's been my experience that when you first start bending most pieces of wood, they will warp a little so if you line everything up perfect before you bend the limbs, once they start to bend they might not line up perfectly anymore.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 10:19:35 am »
You can always narrow it at the grip and do a bit of bend there very late on in the process... meanwhile ignore the string line and in future leave the grip until the end.
If you follow the build of the wonky Hazel bow on my blog, I had exactly the same issues and did a steam bend very late to improve arrow flight.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/very-interesting.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline scp

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 10:40:03 am »
I'm gonna let it dry out a while it's still extremely green.
It's not difficult to correct the string alignment with dry heat after the bow is dry enough to be stringed. I do my best not to narrow the handle too much until the stave is well seasoned.

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 11:06:49 am »
Thankle you everyone for the tips. I think I just got way ahead of myself. Now I know not to make everything so exact until after tillering

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 11:10:54 am »
If the stave is still quite green you can clamp it to a form until it dries. That will help eliminate some of the lateral bend.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 03:24:55 pm »
^^^ +1

If it's green clamp it straight while it dries. It should hold some if not all of the correction.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 09:49:02 pm »
You are jumping way ahead of the game since you just cut them down a few weeks ago. I don't think I'd be worrying about string alighnment this early.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 10:20:41 pm »
You are jumping way ahead of the game since you just cut them down a few weeks ago. I don't think I'd be worrying about string alighnment this early.
Well it's basically at floor tiller so while I'm letting ithe dry figured I'd take a step back and check it out