Author Topic: indirect flaking  (Read 2852 times)

Offline lauderw55

indirect flaking
« on: August 08, 2016, 08:10:15 pm »
Hey does any of you guys indirect flaking out there. I am in process of getting a ishi stick and am looking for some pointers. Like what can I use to strike the ishi stick with? Any pointers with the whole process. Thank you and have a good day

Offline nclonghunter

Re: indirect flaking
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 09:21:47 pm »
Ishi sticks are used as pressure flakers.

There is a type of reduction that uses an antler attached to a stick and is struck by another antler,stick or rock which is an indirect percussion. I think Marty Reuter has a youtube video on a horizontal stick using indirect percussion. 

Hope this is what you are asking. There are some posts in the ABO Knapping section on indirect also. If you havent tried using antler punches then you may want to give it a try also.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline bronco611

• God ,country ,family, flintknapping
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 10:11:08 pm »
look on youtube for indirrect flintknapping, Jack Crafty has a lot of videos and you can see all of his tools also.
FLINTKNAPPING IS EASY...I WAS ALWAYS TOLD I COULD BREAK AN ANVIL WITH A POWDER PUFF.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 06:51:37 am »
Jack Crafty has videos using indirect, and showing his tool and materials used and sizes of materials. I tried doing it but wasn't comfortable. My brother uses a 6x6" block to put his foot on sits in chair. Put long handle end of tool pinched between upper and lower leg behind knee. Strike tool fairly close to tip end. I actually am starting to get the hang of it now and it is surprising how much material you can remove using this method. Good luck hope that helps
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline lauderw55

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 01:00:53 pm »
Thanks guys I checked him out on YouTube. He sure makes that look a lot easier than it probably is

Offline bronco611

• God ,country ,family, flintknapping
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 11:01:41 pm »
i have made some points using this method  and really like it a lot. It is easier to be exact where you want to strike and remove material from. after thinning and shaping, i then set up and run parallel flakes down both sides of the point. just learning how to make nice flake pattern but going well. The indirect method takes a lot less accuracy compared to direct percussion and makes it more enjoyable to be able to complete points and make them thin.
FLINTKNAPPING IS EASY...I WAS ALWAYS TOLD I COULD BREAK AN ANVIL WITH A POWDER PUFF.

Offline aaron

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 12:35:02 pm »
I use an antler-sleved copper punch, struck like a chisel.[
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline lauderw55

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 09:42:03 pm »
I did some indirect flaking with real big nail/stake and I have to say I am impressed. Even with tool I was able to send long flakes. I would like to try a punch like that. How do u position everything when u do it

Offline aaron

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 10:41:50 am »
usually I lay the piece on my lap, holding punch and piece with one hand. My legs also help hold the piece
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"