Author Topic: Curly Osage?  (Read 1341 times)

cool_98_555

Curly Osage?
« on: January 02, 2020, 03:53:57 pm »
Has anyone ever made a bow from a curly/figured osage stave?  One is available and I was thinking about getting it.  Any pictures of bows made of curly osage?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Curly Osage?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 04:16:33 pm »
Clint(osage outlaw) made a curly osage bow a few years ago. There should be plenty of pics and discussions about it if you search.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 04:31:43 pm »
someone at OJam had 3 or 4 on a table a few years back...man they were beautiful and looked like shooters.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 05:31:23 pm »
It depends on how curly and figured the timber is. The more intense the figure, the bigger the likelihood that it will chrysal. That being said  they can work well. To be on the safe side you could make the bow a little wider and  or longer than usual.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 09:32:23 pm »
...and you have to be very careful chasing a back ring. I would think it would be easy to lift a splinter on the back or along an edge.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online sleek

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 10:29:41 pm »
Chasing a ring is a pain in the donkey. It also takes more widths to ensure it doesn't break. I wouldn't stress it by extreme design.  Play it safe. I made one last year at Mojam.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others