Author Topic: Chasing rings  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Justin.schmidt23

Chasing rings
« on: July 30, 2016, 04:01:19 pm »
Well I'm getting ready to shape out my first bow from a stave. It's hackberry that I just cut down about a week or so ago. Imy not going to tiller it or anything just get it to a rough bow shape. So I was wondering if I have to chase a ring with this wood like you do with others such as osage. Thank you in advance.
"Good enough " is never good enough. Take pride in everything you do.

Offline FilipT

Re: Chasing rings
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 04:12:23 pm »
I think not, in most white woods first ring under bark is the back of the bow. Exceptions are woods like osage, black locust and mulberry. Their sapwood needs to be removed in most cases and that means ring chasing to first ring of the heartwood.
I am going to chase ring of the black locust tomorrow for my pyramid bow project.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 04:36:33 pm »
First ring under the bark will work.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 04:39:47 pm »
Ok thanks gents

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 06:05:10 pm »
If you just harvested it you will probably want to seal the back of the bow to keep it from drying to fast and checking ( drying cracks) also seal the ends of the stave.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 07:02:30 pm »
If you just harvested it you will probably want to seal the back of the bow to keep it from drying to fast and checking ( drying cracks) also seal the ends of the stave.
Bjrogg

very Important
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 08:27:27 pm »
Bjrogg
I haven't removed the bark yet cause all I had was some white paint so I used that on the ends. But I just picked up some poly sealer today so I'm gonna debark them tonight and seal em up

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 10:22:02 am »
That'll do just fine.  I tend to put on three coats.  First one goes on with the spray can sweeping along parallel with the length of the stave.  Second one angles 45 degrees to the stave with short strokes.  The third is again at 45 degrees to the stave, but now perpendicular to the second coat. 

I know, I know, sounds like overkill, but when I started this (and even now) I was in a bow wood desert and the loss of even a single stave was devastating.  I developed this technique after a stave developed a lot of checks where my tightwad cheap instincts tried to save on a $8 can of poly. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 10:51:52 am »
How big is the log?  If over 4" to 5" I would split the log in half lengthwise to give the moisture a place to escape.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin.schmidt23

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 02:04:54 pm »
How big is the log?  If over 4" to 5" I would split the log in half lengthwise to give the moisture a place to escape.

That's what I ended up doing. This has some very strange  bark. It's got nobs then they're is a VERY hard second layer.  I don't have a draw knife yet so I had to use a chisel. Never again.  It took 4 hours to debark it lol

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 04:47:49 pm »
You don't HAVE to chase a ring on any wood just a Handful have better heart wood but the sap wood would still work fine.
I like osage

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 01:00:22 pm »
Also, on osage, you dont HAVE to chase a ring either. Just future reference. Most chase a ring, i like the sapwood look.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others