Author Topic: D-bow tillering question  (Read 2301 times)

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
D-bow tillering question
« on: August 01, 2016, 10:46:24 am »
Heh guys,

I have a question about tillering D-bows; do you remove wood from the area that you grip with your hand when tillering or can you leave it alone? The reason why I ask is because the tiller on the bow that I'm working just doesn't look right, I'm using the bow on pg. 37 in TBB vol.4 as a guide and my handle-section does not bend as much as the bow on pg. 37. I think they are other problems with my tiller as well, I wrecked this bow because I took too much wood off and I know it will not reach my intended draw weight. I don't remember if I removed wood from the handle-section on the last D-bow I made so I decided to ask you guys.  The wood is red oak lumber, dimensions are 1 1/2" wide from center to mid-limb on both limbs then tapers to 1/2" nocks, 70" tip-to-tip, 68" nock to nock, I am at 21" of draw. Your replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:53:37 am by ajbruggink »

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: D-bow tillering question
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 11:17:32 am »
Yes you do want to get the handle moving so you will remove wood from it at some point.  I get the handle moving dead last so I am not removing wood from it until I have the limbs bending evenly, and I am approaching my desired draw length.  Last 1-2 inches of draw I will get the handle moving.  Earlier than that and you end up with too much bend in the middle.  Very hard to make weight as you often have to play catch up with the outers.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 11:19:13 am »
At that length, leave the handle be. Tiller looks just fine. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline loon

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 11:27:28 am »
What wood is it? If it was me I'd just try narrowing the handle before it starts bending

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 11:40:14 am »
What wood is it? If it was me I'd just try narrowing the handle before it starts bending
It is a red oak board, straight grain from end to end

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 11:43:50 am »
If you aren't pulling that bow 30" plus, then all you will accomplish getting the handle to bend is loosened teeth.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 11:45:03 am »
Like Slimbob said leave the handle area last and work the bend back into the handle after both limbs are bending well. I like to feel the handle just barely give at full draw. If you are not building reproductions it really doesn't matter. You can have wide handles, narrow handles, ones that bend and ones that don't. Whatever floats your boat.
 It looks to me that the outer right limb could bend a wee bit more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 11:50:38 am »
Like pearl drums said.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 04:06:25 pm »
I agree with Pearl,, depending on your draw, you might cut it shorter and up the weight