Author Topic: Force drying exsperment  (Read 4760 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Force drying exsperment
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 05:01:32 pm »
Yes but even at that on low setting it's 92 F on the inside ,it's ok for drying more seasoned staves but would not work for greener wood  like I said I'm more or less  trying a exsperment  I had high hopes it would be more controllable for lower temps  but not so , so for this stave and another more seasoned ruffed down hickory stave 7 months of the stump I'm ok but for any thing else I would have to build a proper hot box  but after these are done I won't have to much of a need as I have a pretty good stash of seasoned staves now just trying to get threw the winter with these.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline willie

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 03:11:39 am »
I had high hopes it would be more controllable for lower temps  but not so

a lightbulb dimmer should work if it is rated for the amperage.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2016, 02:53:05 pm »
If any body is interested the results of my first exsperment  is the osage stave was in the blanket for 6 days for 10 hrs a day with a average Temp. Of 94 F @ 50% humidity  and after weighing today it lost 20 Grains of weight I'm drying a hickory stave now doing the same test.

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2016, 03:24:53 pm »
20 grains ain't much. Roughly 15 grains to a gram. I would say that it wasn't worth it. Maybe the excess moisture can't get out or like Badger said maybe it was already dry enough.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2016, 03:37:39 pm »
Yep didn't expect to lose much just been so rainy & humid here this year wanted to squeak some out I'm more interested in seeing what the hickory will do ?

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2016, 05:04:44 pm »
Once the hickory is dry it would be interesting to put the two of them in a humid room and see just how much faster the hickory gains weight.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2016, 05:15:25 pm »
That would be interesting but we both know which one would win but if we properly sealed both they would be close I would bet ?

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2016, 07:29:59 am »
Ok so here is the results of the hickory test the stave is a 1 in. Thick ruffed out bow that's about 6 months of the stump & has been inside for about 5 months @ 52 % humidity I put it in the blanket @ average temp 103 F @ 50% RH for 90 hrs. It lost 39 grains of additional weight ,now I'm letting them rest for 1 month & re weigh , I know this is kind of a hair brain exsperment  but I don't have a moister meter & if they stay the same or gain a little weight I will fell confident there at ambient moister.

Offline willie

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2016, 02:47:05 pm »
stickbender-

not trying to be picky, but when you say....

I put it in the blanket @ average temp 103 F @ 50% RH

I am presuming that the 50% refers to the humidity in the room, before wrapping in the blanket.  RH, (relative humidity) is relative to temperature, so if you want to know the actual RH at 103 F you can consult a Psychrometric Chart. the difference between  rh at the elevated temp and the rh at room temp, is what determines how fast the moisture leaves the wood

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2016, 02:55:15 pm »
Yep I was speaking to the room RH  I have no way to determine what it is in the blanket ,also don't own a moisture meter so just doing it by weight . Just trying to make sure both those staves are dry ,most of the wood I have worked with has not been real seasoned so wanted to make sure these where dry for winter work.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2016, 03:26:51 pm »
You'll get what you want Ritch.If it gains a little weight at room 50% humidity out of the blanket you'll know what's going on.It'll be exactly what the chart says.Good to know what your getting into before removing wood.
Hedge'll take longer for humidity to infiltrate more so than most woods because of the density you know,but then it'll take longer to leave then too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed