Author Topic: 1" thick handle section??  (Read 1553 times)

cool_98_555

1" thick handle section??
« on: July 30, 2016, 12:54:59 pm »
Hello everyone,

I have been looking around my shop and I found an old osage stave that I had worked down into bow dimensions.  Problem with this stave is that the thickest part (at the handle area) is only 1" thick.  Rest of the bow is around 7/8".  I think I remember this one.  I was reducing the back to a single ring and the rings on this one were very hard to see, so I ended up going through many rings to get a clean back and this is what I ended up with.  It was a grueling night in the shop for sure. Frusterated, I put it away and left it there until further notice.  Now I'm seeing this thing again and am wondering what I could do with it.  It's 66" right now and I really would like a stiff-handle bow.  Not sure if I can make it that way with this one though.  I would love to add a riser to this bow, but I don't know how I can flatten the osage down so that it's perfectly flat to accept the riser block.  I don't want any glue gaps due to unevenness.  I've tried that before but never could get it perfectly flat, and the riser popped off later.  Ended up ruining a good bow that way...don't want to do that again unless I have an absolutely for-sure method of getting that perfectly flat for the riser block.  Any ideas with all of this?  Thank you all for your help.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: 1" thick handle section??
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 05:39:09 pm »
I build my handles much more meaty and robust now than I did when I first started making bows. I just measured an old one with a skinnyish handle. It is 1 " wide, 7/8" deep, and 5" long. This is a 58" Osage bow that draws 56lbs at 27 inches. Looking at it I wonder how it has held together, but 20 years and thousands of arrows. Short little 1 inch fades to boot. Don't take much Osage....
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 06:43:27 pm »
If ya want deeper handle section, will likely have little trouble adding bit of a block.
When adding riser block, I get stave portion reasonably flat/square and then use sandpaper/block to do final flattening. The sanding block is my riser block.
Good luck!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline loon

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 10:46:28 pm »
would it be possible to tiller it to have a stiff middle section and handle built up on the back, maybe with cork? would 1" deep right at the middle bend?..

Offline DavidV

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 11:09:41 pm »
Honestly, an inch of osage probably isn't going to do any bending as long as it isn't too narrow. Then do what Knoll said if you need more handle to shape.
Springfield, MO

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 11:19:05 pm »
Stiff handle.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 09:28:08 am »
Here's a couple of pics just for clarity's sake.