Author Topic: Bur Oak for Staves?  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Phoenecian

Bur Oak for Staves?
« on: July 24, 2016, 12:41:50 pm »
I am a Newbie on the Forum. I have never made my own bow, but decided to learn. Checked the Wood Database for wood characteristics of species that are native to my area and found that Bur Oak looks really good for the ratios of strength and flexibility, and it is typically very straight grained.  Just my luck there is a "small" Bur Oak I need to remove that the squirrels planted too near a brick wall on my property. It is about is about 4 inches in diameter near the base and does not have any branches or stems for the first 7 feet.

I have not found anything in the forum about working with Bur Oak for a stave self bow. Does anyone have experience with this wood in bow making, who can offer any special tips or warnings?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bur Oak for Staves?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 12:47:27 pm »
Most oaks will make good bows. I would determine the 2 best sides, saw it in half lengthwise considering those two sides and bind them back together with spacers between for good air circulation. Be sure to seal the ends and either treat the bark with a pesticide or remove the bark and seal the backs.  The wood right under the bark will be the back of your bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 11:07:20 pm »
Like any tree, bur oak (Quercus macrocarpa) is likely to have variation from tree to tree.  I cut several over the years, some that was extraordinarily straight and split like a dream.  I found the wood hard to work and in the end, I had a bow that had low draw weight, very high mass, and handshock that could break up tectonic plates. 

On the positive side, I was not paying attention and tillered in a whomping bad hinge in a limb, marked the hinge and set it up overnight.  Next morning I went back and thought the pencil marks meant it was stiff in that spot and took more wood off the hinge!  When I strung it, it became painfully obvious what I had done.  I finished the bow and while it was a dog, the hinge section never showed a fret nor did it take set!!!

Hoping your stave treats you better than I treated that one! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 11:58:33 pm »
As it happens, buroak is the only native oak that grows in my neck of the woods.  When I first started making bows, I did not know that the mythical Osage orange was what we called hedge.  So I used a lot of whitewoods and ERC for my first bows.  Buroak was one of my favorites and I still consider it good bow wood especially if you heat temper the belly.  The tree your describing  is the size I would look for if I was to go harvest some.  Josh