Author Topic: Bamboo backed rosewood longbow, 30@28'  (Read 3755 times)

Offline leaf_h

Bamboo backed rosewood longbow, 30@28'
« on: July 15, 2016, 06:15:57 am »
I'm a Chinese player and this is my second successful lamination bow
I compressed the materials with a square steel pipe and an inflated bicycle tube

It is comprised of 3 layers of bamboo slice, 2 layers of maple wood as well as 1 layer of rosewood
 simple tips with side nocks, finished with wax oil

At last its draw weight is a bit of disappointing, as I over estimated the strength  of the bamboo slices, next time I will have a try of using a whole bamboo with its skin.

Offline leaf_h

Re: Bamboo backed rosewood longbow, 30@28'
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 06:34:25 am »
That is the steel pipe I'm using, I personally regard that is more simple than using a model when making lamination bows.
Just stuff the layers and the tube inside it, than pump air into the tube, and pick it out several days later. By this way I haven't fail in compressing yet.
By the way I use Titebond III to gule them together.

And I use AutoCAD to help me adjusting the shaft when taming the bow. As it can shows the flaw clearly.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 09:24:31 am »
There appears to be a lot of material there. Im surprised your draw weight is as low as it is. I like the way you glue it all together in the tube.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 09:54:30 am »
Did you intentionally make the bow so asymmetrical? Is the arrow falling at the center of the bow?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline leaf_h

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 05:54:17 am »
no, the arrow rest is actually at the center of the bow.
It looks like that because I inclined the bow when I was shooting :P

Offline leaf_h

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 06:02:52 am »
There appears to be a lot of material there. Im surprised your draw weight is as low as it is. I like the way you glue it all together in the tube.
Yeah I was also stunning that how it is so powerless, somebody told me that my bamboo slice is not actually made for bow back, and I ought to use a nature bamboo instead of this kind of artificial products which is always used as inner layer under the fiber glass

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 01:28:13 pm »
Congrats on your bow, I bet your next will be higher weight.
Welcome to the site

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 04:33:37 pm »
I would like to know more about your bamboo back material. Im not familiar with what you describe. Also, I do know that the back isnt what males a bow strong, it is only what keeps the bow from breaking. Its the belly wood that makes a bow have its power. Not to mention how wide and thick tje bow is also.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline arcdubois

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 05:13:37 pm »
Nice looking bow. Looks like you have a really nice collection of bows in the background. Are any of those self bows?

Offline Mounter

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 05:17:15 pm »
I'm guessing it's like vertcle bamboo flooring? Makes great lams. Awesome glue lines, and excellent bow!

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 03:18:17 am »
Yes you used bamboo flooring - next time get some split bamboo. Don't touch the outer surface other than to clean it up. Bamboo flooring is low density and low stiffness. All of bamboos strength is in the outer fibers. With this stuff they only use the inner fibers because it's easier on tools, glues well etc.. This material is really only any good for cores in wood/glass bows.
Also your rosewood isn't very stiff. Again it is really only suitable for a core in this design or a belly on a flatbow.

Offline leaf_h

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 09:28:25 pm »
Yes you used bamboo flooring - next time get some split bamboo. Don't touch the outer surface other than to clean it up. Bamboo flooring is low density and low stiffness. All of bamboos strength is in the outer fibers. With this stuff they only use the inner fibers because it's easier on tools, glues well etc.. This material is really only any good for cores in wood/glass bows.
Also your rosewood isn't very stiff. Again it is really only suitable for a core in this design or a belly on a flatbow.
Thanks a lot for your advise, it is very useful for me! And next time I will improve my choice of materials.

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 02:23:20 am »
No problem :)