Author Topic: Trade bow from Weylin  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Badger

Trade bow from Weylin
« on: July 19, 2016, 12:59:07 pm »
   I got my tradebow from Weylin today. I think this will be this years flight bow for me. I put it through its paces and it went beyond passing with flying colors. I wanted to shoot it through a chrono but my chrono isn't reading so I shot it through a plastic trash can against a bow that I know shoots right at 175 fps. the 175 bow. Went through one side and put a slight dent in the other side. Welyins bow shot through both sides with about 4" sticking out on the far side.

I measured the just unbraced profile against its rested profile and the slight difference was negligble, this is one of the biggest indicators of a very well made fast bow.
  I decided to do a work up on the projected mass, I came out with 26 oz. The skins he added added a little bit and the bow weighed in at just under 27 oz. 10 years ago this would have been considered by many to be too much mass but the performance of this bow reinforces the importance of having enough wood to get the job done, it shows no effects of strain in the wood at all.

I would like to shoot it in the self bow class but because of the backings I will have to shoot it in the simple composite class. I have no doubt it can handle the upgrade in class. I can't thank you enough Weylin and I am certain you haven't seen the last of this bow. I also plan to have a lady shoot it in the ladies classes. The lady will likely shoot it at about 24" draw.

Offline Weylin

Re: Trade bow from Weylin
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 03:17:41 pm »
I'm really happy that you're enjoying the bow. I was excited and intimidated at drawing your name. Making a bow for someone who has such exacting standards for performance made me a bit nervous. I just told myself that I would make as nice a bow as I could and not worry about trying to live up to flight bow expectations. I did leave the string favoring the shooting side because I read your thoughts on the matter and knew you would be able to choose your spine to accommodate.

I had to reduce the sapwood on that stave and that combined with the dry climate where you are led me to rawhide back it, for safety. The sturgeon skin was purely cosmetic, hopefully it won't weigh it down too much, but I couldn't resist sprucing it up a little.

That's exciting that it will get to debut at the salt flats! I'm flattered that you are considering competing with it. I hope it serves you well. It couldn't go to a better guy. Thanks for all that you contribute to our bow making world.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 03:22:48 pm »
   I have noticed that yourself and some others on here have been putting out some extremely high quality bows. My reputation I am sure exceeds my ability. I have spent a lot more time on theory than I have perfecting my actual tenniques. I am proud to shoot your bow and would be very proud to beat my own record with it. You have honed your skill to a high level and deserve credit for it.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 03:12:55 am »
Badger - Without you and your co-contributors in the TBB series there would be a whole lot less bowyers out there ;)
What goes around - comes around. I'm glad you got a nice bow in the trade.

Offline avcase

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 03:50:02 am »
Steve,
I'm so glad you will be bringing one of Weylin's bows at the flight championships.  This one sounds like a contender!p

Alan

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 05:37:42 am »
Congrats Steve. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 06:33:59 am »
A downright gorgeous bow from the pics Weylin posted earlier and no doubt a shooter as well. Congrats Steve.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 07:39:29 am »
That looked like a stem winder I can remember.Congrats on the trade bow.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 12:44:59 pm »
Congrats Steve!
I would really like to see you flight shooting guys in person. Here in Germany it is not common at all.
I'm really interested in that things, but have to study more what makes a bow a flight shooter ...

Good luck with Weylin's!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 03:25:18 pm »
Congrats Steve!
I would really like to see you flight shooting guys in person. Here in Germany it is not common at all.
I'm really interested in that things, but have to study more what makes a bow a flight shooter ...

Good luck with Weylin's!

Simpson, your bows would work fine just as you are making them. Just practice a clean release and learn to make your own flight arrows. We share info very freely so not hard to break into.