Author Topic: Grandpas farm  (Read 1761 times)

Offline DuBois

Grandpas farm
« on: July 04, 2016, 08:55:23 am »
Made a trip to NE Kansas this spring for eldest sisters memorial and decided to take it alittle further to Ft. Scott in SE Kansas and visit Grandpas farm. He sold it off in the 80's before I could really take advantage of the 180 acres. Man there knew him and said it was fine to cut some wood.
Here's the view of the Osage hedge behind the house and it gave me some beautiful tight snakey staves that are in the shed now and also some great hackberry. I walked it for most at least an hour just letting it soak in before cutting.

Old hedge post leaning in corner of fenceline looked to have never been used and must have been as old as me at least. Kinda intense and it felt like it was left there by him for me.

Very good experience. Grateful to my sister for getting me back down there after 30 years.

Offline Zuma

Re: Grandpas farm
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 11:18:26 am »
Good medicine :) Nice to hear you made the connection
to the past and have returned with something tangible as well.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 02:31:30 pm »
That's really cool, glad you got back to your grandparents farm and the fellow there let you walk it and harvest some bow wood. It's good to get back to your roots, and now you'll have the wood to further connect you to them.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 09:13:20 pm »
And if you can.. Show us a pic of the staves ya got!
~Isaia

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 09:26:30 pm »
Very cool.  Bow wood with history is awesome stuff. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DuBois

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 01:48:02 pm »
2/3 of the 12" hackberry log splits. Some other smaller staves elsewhere in rafters.

My favorites of the osage. How about those natural 5 curves.

My first attempt at the old fence post. I picked the worst piece to practice on and so far it looks promising and has been peaceful to work on but taken back seat to trade bow. It is next to the top off the post and has a handle area that shows the exterior of weathered wood. Also a sapwood on stave that I made a few of.

Offline Will B

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 02:26:26 pm »
Looks like some great wood.  Nice pictures.  I love Kansas.  Great deer hunting and osage staves... ;D

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 03:03:22 pm »
Nice! Thanks for the pics 😊
~Isaia

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 10:42:59 pm »
There are some nice bows in Grandpa's staves. Cool!   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC