Author Topic: Cow horn removal  (Read 1621 times)

Offline DC

Cow horn removal
« on: June 13, 2016, 11:36:06 am »
I've got the local butcher looking for some light colored horns for me. While I was waiting I Googled "horn removal" and realised this may not be that easy. Boiling seems like the easiest but there is different opinions as to whether it damages the horn or not. I thought I might just bury them in the compost pile for a month or so. Any super slick methods out there. I will just be using them for bow tip and arrow passes if that makes a difference.

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Cow horn removal
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 01:42:13 pm »
Are you talking about separating the horn from the bone? For bighorn sheep I've had some that came off really easy, and others I just sawed them off bone and all. When you start getting into the horn the pithy bone stuff will loosen and come out eventually.
You can boil horn and it doesn't hurt it, just no longer than 10 min.
At the gathering in sept I can give you bighorn scraps. Best overlay material

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 02:38:25 pm »
Yes, separating the horn from the bone. I'm sure the butcher will just saw them off flush with the skull. I'm looking forward to Sept, other than wishing the summer away. A few pieces of Bighorn would be great. That kind of thing adds a bit of "OHHHH" to a bow. People look at my nocks and think it's plastic and when I tell them it's Water Buffalo horn they get all impressed. I hate to tell them it's a dog chew ;D ;D ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 03:54:40 pm »
I just leave them in the sun for a week or so and then tap them out.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 07:46:01 pm »
What Eddie said works well.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 02:52:13 am »

Nope, boiling won't hurt them.  Like was said.  Also just be sure the horns are out of reach of dogs, and raccoons, if you leave them out in the sun.  They come out pretty easy, but you might want to rinse, and bleach the inside a bit, as it is a bit rank.  You could rinse, and boil for a couple of minutes.  Also boiling makes scraping with a piece of glass a lot easier.  When I was a kid, I used to go down to the local butcher shop, that butchered their own cows, and get the cow horns.  We did like Eddie said, and just tied them to trees,with the sawed off end down, to drain, and facilitate the flies doing their thing with laying maggots in them. Not quite a week, they are ready to shake the bone out.  Then clean the inside, and boil, and then scrape, and sand, and polish.

Wayne

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 04:07:57 am »
I have done a lot lately , some just come right out with no problem after they dry, some are a little harder and stuck, I just put them in a vice and start chipping away with a screwdriver on the edge between the horn and the bone, it will eventually come loose and slide right out. Some tougher than others. I tried boiling but that didn't help much for mine. :) I do boil them to fit the ends and such and it don't seem to hurt them at all, just makes the soft until the cool and dry again. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 11:13:50 am »
 If you boil them do it OUTSIDE . You can put them in a trash bag with small holes in it. Flies and maggots will clean it .
I did that when I rotted out buff skulls.  Hang bag in a tree or a cage away from the house.
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 11:45:06 am »
A lot of you are saying leave them out to dry. Are you really meaning leave them out so the bugs can have their way with them?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 02:06:24 pm »
No just in a dry place, worms will put holes in them just like a stage if left unattended. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good