Author Topic: how do you glue on handles?  (Read 6222 times)

Offline Jodocus

Re: how do you glue on handles?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 03:04:13 pm »
And, all that being said, I'd like to add that if you use poperly spined arrows (nominal spine well below draw weight), a bow with a 1.5" wide handle can shoot sweetly.
Don't shoot!

Offline loon

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 04:47:36 am »
And, all that being said, I'd like to add that if you use poperly spined arrows (nominal spine well below draw weight), a bow with a 1.5" wide handle can shoot sweetly.
What handle width to bendy handled D bows usually have?

What if one glues on a somewhat long tapering piece on the back? Isn't TB3 usually stronger than wood?..

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 10:27:23 am »
TB III is awesome stuff, and fine for bows, but the epoxies and resin-based glues fill gaps better.  TBIII needs really good mated surfaces and enough, but not too much clamping pressure.

Glueing a longer slat on the back doesn't seem to work, unless you make it a power lam under a backing.  I mentioned tied-on handles, though, and I did make a couple bamboo bows with a tied-on stiffener on the front and handle build ups on the belly side.

The bamboo slat was 1-3/4" wide about, and the handle was an inch or a tad more.  I boiled and bent a short piece of bamboo, maybe 12" long, to curve forward like a shallow "C".  Then I lashed down the middle of that piece on the back and some little chunks on the belly to fill out the grip.  Then I clamped the tips of the "C" down to the limb and lashed them in place about where the fades would be.  That worked.