Author Topic: Good friends  (Read 1513 times)

Offline dylanholderman

Good friends
« on: May 09, 2016, 11:20:06 pm »
A older guy from my blacksmithing club who I got into bowmaking when out and harvested some wood. And then he gave me these  ;D

Seven feet long ones pipe straight the other has a slight reflex, rings are a little small but they look to have a good early/late wood ratio

He wouldn't accept anything in trade for them so I finally just made him a tillering gizmo as a gift, I figured the gizmo being small he would at least accept that :)

Offline Chippintuff

Re: Good friends
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 11:44:02 pm »
Question for all you Osage users: Is it typical for Osage to have thick growth rings when it is young, and then very tight thin ones as it gets older?

WA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 12:12:11 am »
WA, it's common but not all the time.
 Dylan, that looks like some good wood. You might get 2 or 3 staves from each of those.
A lot better than that one piece you had at the Classic.   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 06:15:21 am »
Good friend indeed, Dylan.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 05:59:30 pm »
Pat B: no kidding >:D I think I'll try to get a belly split and then split in half. You don't need much thickness for a bendy handle 8)
I'm still going to try and get a bow out of that stick I had at the classic ;) I think there's at least a kids bow in there or maybe a lady's bow.

Chippintuff: basically what pat said, and he has much more experience than me ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 08:35:01 pm »
Aw dang, osage with a slight reflex naturally, good early/late ratio, and someone else cut, split, and hauled it to your house!  WINNERWINNERCHICKENDINNERDINGDINGDING!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.