Author Topic: Another Cascara  (Read 1940 times)

Offline DC

Another Cascara
« on: May 05, 2016, 01:32:18 pm »
This will be my first Cascara. I took a lot of reflex drying so unlike Mullet I'm going to have to take some curve out :D. This stave is 1 3/4" on one end and 2" on t'other so it is quite high crown. I want a 27" draw minimum. The stave is 72" long. Any advice on how long to leave it?

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: Another Cascara
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 02:58:29 pm »
Don't think that will work, but good luck! :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 03:11:14 pm »
Could I get a why, and will anything work?

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 04:07:12 pm »
I have some cascara blanks I have not finished yet, but all this talk about the wood makes me want to.  I noticed when floor tillering it seemed very stiff, then all of sudden gave way, so take it slow. That much reflex and snake would give you some issues with any wood.
Tension strong or compression strong, people opinions vary on cascara. My hunch is that it has a slight edge in compression. If I were you I'd leave it as long as possible

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 08:52:58 pm »
I can't offer any advice, I'm winging it. It is some light weight wood, though. I left mine at 66", 1 3/4" at the fades and still working my way down to the tips. I have a handle on this wood, looking forward to finishing it.

Once I get it bending the way I want and floor tillered, I'll back it with rawhide. It is soft.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 01:19:19 am »
I have some cascara blanks I have not finished yet, but all this talk about the wood makes me want to.  I noticed when floor tellering it seemed very stiff, then all of sudden gave way, so take it slow. That much reflex and snake would give you some issues with any wood.
Tension strong or compression strong, people opinions vary on cascara. My hunch is that it has a slight edge in compression. If I were you I'd leave it as long as possible

Not by any means tension strong at all. Compression is a lot better, but again not great. Cascara is the northwest equivalent to eastern red cedar in my opinion, from working the lumber.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.