Author Topic: Tiller check Up-date  (Read 2758 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Tiller check Up-date
« on: April 21, 2016, 07:03:38 pm »
I'm working on a 70" holmegaard and have it tillered to #43 at 22". The weight is about right but I'm having a little trouble with the wiggle on the right limb. Any ideas? (its on a long string because I currently don't have any bow strings long enough).
Thanks
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 08:27:16 am by Hrothgar »
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline bow101

Re: Tiller check
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 08:31:01 pm »
Looks good I hope it stays in one piece with that welt on the right fade.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 08:47:37 am »
That right limb looks like it's hinging, but I think it's just that wiggle you're talking about it. Hopefully somebody with somemore experience with those lumpy staves will chime in.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 08:51:23 am »
That right limb isnt bending anywhere except your kinky spot. Work from that kink towards the tip. Left side look pretty good so far.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 09:29:15 am »
That right limb isnt bending anywhere except your kinky spot. Work from that kink towards the tip. Left side look pretty good so far.
+1
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 09:40:31 am »
That kink is also knotted and should appear flat.
I think it may be bending too much there.
Looks like the right limb mid limb on needs some scraping.
Jawge
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 09:45:12 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Tiller check Up-date
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 08:37:39 am »
Tis Holmegaard was coming along good, tiller was pretty much corrected and weight was right on. Then when I was sanding last night the sandpaper snagged around the knot and upon closer examination I found one and possible two frets. They don't seem to be deep and there isn't any noticeable string follow. I think I'll just shelve it...errrr.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 09:15:05 am »
You could dig out that knot and fill it, then rasp out a long shallow scoop and patch it. I've got away with that sort of fix on a few bows.
I sometimes feel an awful lot of bows get scrapped when they could be fixed... not all problems are "mistakes" we are working with imperfect materials.
I'm currently working on an 80# Yew warbow, there's an odd patch on the back where the sapwood rings get incredibly fine and dip down, maybe it was rubbing on another limb, anyhow I had little choice but to violate a lot of rings over a very short distance, so I just rasped it down about 1/8" and overlaid a bit of matching sapwood, barely visible and doubtless stronger. I don't see a good fix as being any "worse" than making a laminated bow, after all a laminate is jost one loooooooooong patch ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 04:10:01 pm »
Thanks for the advice Del, a lot of hours have gone into this bow and its nearly ready to shoot. In hind sight I needed to dig out this area more, make it concave instead of flat. Maybe there's still hope.