Author Topic: Between set and frets  (Read 1736 times)

Offline arachnid

Between set and frets
« on: May 04, 2016, 04:06:14 am »
Hi guys.
This is a theoretical question, so I can better understand the mechanics of the bow:When the bow is drawn, the belly wood cells resist compression (thats what give the bow it's spring back). When the cells fail to resist compression (meaning- they over compress)- the bow doesn't spring back completely resulting in the bow taking set. Question is- What happens to the wood cells when frets appear on the belly? Can the cells "over-fail"?

Another question- Is there a way for the BACK cells to fail, aside from braking due to over-drawing/over-tension?

Thanks
Dor

mikekeswick

Re: Between set and frets
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 07:13:54 am »
The cells have basically crushed when a fret appears. Eg. they have been forced past their elastic limit.
I did a few experiments a few years ago. I made some quick d-bows and then pulled them way past where they should have been drawn too. They took around 3 - 4 inches of set. I then cut them along the middle on the bandsaw so I had a back and a belly. Once separated the bellies all showed an increase in set to 5 - 6 inches and the backs all pretty much went back to being straight.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 07:16:07 am »
The belly cells "crimp" when they chrysal.   Think of folding a softer material made up of "cells" like a piece of foam as an example.  When it creases in spots that's the same principle.

A back can also be stretched permanently before it breaks much like a bowstring stretches and then stops stretching.

If you put hickory on a wood that basically doesn't compress like the harder tropical woods the hickory can stretch, particularly in a damper climate.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 10:53:23 am »
Yes, and eventually the bow will collapse on itself with the limb closing like a book. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!