Author Topic: How much reflex?  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How much reflex?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2016, 12:07:25 pm »
It's in the tillering. If both limbs are bending evenly and together and you have reached your desired draw weight at your draw length the bow should shoot fine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2016, 02:21:31 pm »
Thanks guys, thats all really helpful. The stave I am working on had 4" reflex and though i steamed it straight, it relaxed through the week to 2.5" reflex. I was going to treat it again but I will try tiller in it as it is. It's a D bow, 62" ttt.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 01:29:07 pm »
  When you add reflex you also need to allow for more width. Thoe wood has to bend more so it has to be thinner.

Exactly.  Narrow bows with curves or reflex wart to bend sideways to some degree, and are trying to, even if they don't.  wider and flatter gives them only the option to bend front to back.

Reflex doesn't shorten the draw potential,it just increases the chances of blowing or overstraining the bow, and must be handled judiciously.  A couple, even a few inches of reflex is a great place to start. More than that, and I will deflex at the handle, or pull some reflex out of inner or midlimbs while heat treating.