Author Topic: Hatchet with osage handle  (Read 4680 times)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
Hatchet with osage handle
« on: April 22, 2016, 12:41:42 am »
I got a nice handforged hatchet blade gifted by a friend. I made a handle and a protection sheath for it. Handle is oasge, shield is hardened leather. Handle is for a right handed, on one side a finger groove, on the other a hump to prevent slipping foreward. End of the handle is thickened out for the same reason. The head is secured on the handle with a osage wedge, hammered in and glued with TB 3.
The leather sheath has a fold over  (with hinges) triangulur shaped piece with a round load stone glued in, so it sits absolute secure on the blade. To open just fold back and pull the hatchet out. Easy and effective!
I like this tool very much, it is sharp like a razor blade. And it is a pleasure to see the osage darken.

Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline chamookman

Re: Hatchet with osage handle
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 04:06:20 am »
Very nice ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 04:52:16 am »
Beautiful handle, please don't take this wrong but the grain is supposed to run the other way. :) Beautiful work either way, you do some amazing things with wood. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 07:17:54 am »
Great axe Simon.  Don't worry, I made the same mistake with the wrong grain orientation with my first hatchet handle as well.

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 09:29:14 am »
Yep, I've done that too. In any case I love the profiling on the handle, and if it does split on ya the head should hold up for many decades!!

Also love the leather work. The simplicity of your design is inspiring!

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 11:31:17 am »
That's super nice, the metal working, the wood working, and the leather working.  Clever with the magnet! 

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 12:29:27 pm »
Very nice workmanship!

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 09:54:20 pm »
Like the way the handle looks.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 11:18:57 pm »
     As usual, another beautiful job.  Yeah, the grain edge, should be lined up in the direction of the blade edge, but being Osage, I don't think you will have any problems anytime soon.  I guess you  were still thinking bow wood ...... ;)  Nice handle design, very ergonomic, and comfortable looking.  I like the protective cover, and especially the flap with the magnet, (lodestone) Really nice looking hatchet head also.  I was trying to see if your Friend had inserted a hard piece of steel, into the softer steel, but looks like he used one piece of steel.  Did he harden just the edge, and a little behind it?  Or did he put the edge in the water, or oil, and then slowly insert the rest of the head?  I really like the design, and the handle really sets it off.  As I said, another beautiful bit of work.  I always look forward to seeing pictures of any of your work. Thanks for sharing.

Wayne
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:27:02 pm by stickbender »

Offline simson

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 03:24:40 am »
Beautiful handle, please don't take this wrong but the grain is supposed to run the other way. :) Beautiful work either way, you do some amazing things with wood. :)
 Pappy

Mark, of course I don't take wrong! To be honest, I know what grain orientation is needed or wanted. In this case being a left over from bow building I hadn't that much wood to play with. And being osage I thought it would take the stress - and til now did without a problem.
When I was carving that handle my neighbour came over and said: do you know this is the wrong ....
half an hour later a buddy of mine, you know it already, with the same comment.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

....  I was trying to see if your Friend had inserted a hard piece of steel, into the softer steel, but looks like he used one piece of steel.  Did he harden just the edge, and a little behind it?  Or did he put the edge in the water, or oil, and then slowly insert the rest of the head?  ......
                                    Wayne

Wayne, the head is no composit. It is hardend at the edge, I assume over 60 rockwell. I don't know how he did it, but think he did with oil - the ususal way and then in the oven.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 07:00:10 am »
Beautiful job on the handle and sheath.  Your friend makes a fine looking hatchet head.  I wouldn't worry about the grain orientation.  I doubt a person could swing a hatchet that size hard enough to break that thick of a piece of osage. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 06:33:50 pm »
well I don't know about that grain, probably only last a couple of life times,,I am sure you couldn't break it if you tried,,
very nice color too,, :)