Author Topic: Arrow Wood ID  (Read 1348 times)

Offline RyanR

Arrow Wood ID
« on: March 29, 2016, 07:55:51 pm »
This afternoon I cut some potential arrow wood down the road from my house.  I thought I was originally cutting Red Osier but am not sure. There is either 2 or 3 types of wood here I think.  I have attached 3 photos for identification.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Arrow Wood ID
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 08:05:57 pm »
#1...I don't know.
#2...looks like 2 year old red osier or silky dogwood, depending on where you live.
#3...looks like first year red osier or silky
 Most dogwoods(except alternifolia) have opposite leaves.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RyanR

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 08:28:15 pm »
Thanks Pat. The wood in photo 1 was in the creek bottom with the wood in photo 3. There wasn't much of the red wood there. The wood in photo 2 has brown pith so I think it is silky dogwood. This is in Michigan.  Most of the wood in photos 2 and 3 had multiple growth rings so I assume it is at least a couple years old.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 08:45:09 pm by RyanR »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 10:37:00 pm »
Probably red osier. Too far north and west for silky. It grows more east and south.
 The best way to tell the age of the shoot is whether it has leaves(or leaf scars) along the stem or small branches. Leaves or leaf scars the first season then small branches the next season.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RyanR

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 05:57:20 am »
I had to trim small branches off of pretty much all of them so they must be 2nd year.  I plan on going back later this week. It is 1.5 miles from my house and they basically start at the edge of the road. Thanks again Pat

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 08:32:20 am »
#2 & 3 look like the red osier I pick at my house.  Number 1 looks like pussy willow (pre-flowered), to me.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 09:54:07 am »
#2 & 3 look like the red osier I pick at my house.  Number 1 looks like pussy willow (pre-flowered), to me.

Thats my thought as well.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 10:44:24 am »
I agree with the above because I nearly cut some too. They grow almost mixed together so as I about put the knife to it I realized others around it had the fuzzy blooms. I did cut some other kind of willow a few months ago, cut into it yesterday and it had a wet wood smell and the cambium layer was thick and bright green. 7 shafts that will now be garden stakes. Those were mixed with ocean spray but I had just thought the flower bunches had fallen.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.