Author Topic: Sinew backed birch-juniper  (Read 4885 times)

Offline maatus

Re: Sinew backed birch-juniper
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 09:18:32 am »
Finished and oiled the tips and belly. Sinew wrapped the nocks with gelatine glue and some Titebond 3 in the grooves. Leaving sinew back uncovered because I don't want to add any weight anymore. And it's then easier to reuse the sinews if and when it fails.

Lenght 53", pulls 52#@24" and weight 365 grams.

Offline maatus

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 09:32:31 am »
Instant reflex after some shots, returns little by little...

Offline Stoner

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2016, 10:42:54 pm »
GREAT JOB! I am really liking these double wood bow threads. You guys got me really thinking. John

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2016, 04:45:35 am »
That is a thing of astounding awesomeness!  :D
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline maatus

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 03:40:29 pm »
Have been shooting it and got now enough trust for so covered the whole bow with birch bark. Tips could have been without but because of sinew I thought it's good to have there it also.

Offline maatus

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 03:41:58 pm »
Secondary string for it from linen and also covered it with birch bark

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2016, 05:36:02 pm »
Nice bow.  Why did you back the Juniper with Birch and not simply go with the sinew in the first place
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline maatus

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2016, 08:14:11 pm »
I was planning to make it without sinew first but then decided to add it too. The "base reflex" is by laminating and then some extra with sinew, it's good to have for protection also. This bow has high early draw weight.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2016, 01:13:06 am »
  Tips are way to heavy to my liking, weight in the tips cause hand shock. With the bow shortv like it is with those heavy tips. You'll feel the hand shock to your elbow unless it's low poundage.

You need to rasp in the limb curve you've left to straight to match the tip. You can rasp in the curve and get rid of a lot of tip weight thinning them. With the sinew the thinner tips will be fine.

I'd also have to cut in a handle. You'll have a wider range of arrow spine you can shoot. Again less hand shock.

Not saying the way I'd do it is right my any means. We all have our own style. These are just the things needs fixed as I see them.

Nice bow good tiller, sinew looks good.

Sorry just told it like I see it.

I know one likes to be told what to do. Same with hunting worse people to try to help. No one once to be told how to hunt. I file everything I read away.

My gradaddys view. LEARN ONE THING A DAY even if it's a relearn,no matter how mundain it is. He did I do my sons do the same.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING