Author Topic: Bow Building Workshops/Events?  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Clovis6

Bow Building Workshops/Events?
« on: March 27, 2016, 08:34:44 am »
Have read a handful of the core reference books and am now interested in building my first selfbow.  While I am sure I could work through it alone in my basement over a couple of months, I would prefer to do it in a small group setting with an experienced bowyer coaching me through the process. Have done some research and all I keep coming up with are workshops in the Northwest or Canada. Occasionally, I will see something in the more southern states (FL, AL, etc) or in Texas in conjunction with a big shoot.  I live in Northern Virginia. I really don't want this to be a $2000 investment. I try to save that kind of money and time investment for actual (and very infrequent) big hunting trips. Need to go from dry stave to shooting the bow in a weekend.

Can anyone make recommendations about any bow building workshops or other build-together types of events that are going to take place this year over a weekend in my part of the world (VA, MD, PA, NC, WV)? 

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
Re: Bow Building Workshops/Events?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 08:58:33 am »
The tennesee classic is april 30th thru may 1st. Lotsof bow building help there.
Steve Bennett

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 09:59:52 am »
The Tennessee Classic shouldn't be to far of a drive.  Bring a tent and stay for free.  Lots of bow building going on.  There are some really good bow building teachers there.  If you get a bow blank from them they will work with you until you get it shooting.  Look up Matt, Dave, or Gary.  All three are top notch guys. 

Here is  a link to last years Tennessee Classic.  There are some good pictures of the bow shop on this page.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,50213.450.html
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Clovis6

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 10:11:00 am »
Went to the Twin Oaks site about the Classic per turtle's initial recommendation and Gary Davis is doing a "build it and shoot it for score" workshop at the Classic.  Sent the club poc an email about the details.  Have a new job starting and just not sure I can sneak out early on Thurs or Fri (if that's necessary) to get there in time to do the workshop.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 11:57:21 am »
I'm sure there will be people there all weekend that will work with you.  You have some of the best in the game there.  I'm sure you would have a great time.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 01:02:48 pm »
Even if it's just one day if you can go to the classic, GO, buy a raffle ticket you might even win a bow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 02:41:52 pm »
Yes the Tennessee Classic  is a big deal and one of the places to learn alot
Get there if you can
Another option that is a bit more relaxed is The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous  over the Memorial Day weekend in southern Michigan
there are events such as these popping up all over the country so keep checking the many forums that have event listings.
Pat B is out your way and he will most likly chime in on something close .

I hope to see ya again soon and would be glad to help you out
which brings me to the next option start in , post pics and wait on replies many have done it that way and thats a big part of this forum you are on right now

Have fun
 GUY
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Clovis6

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 06:25:46 pm »
Guy - that is the Plan B I have been thinking about this afternoon while I was out at the 3D range. It is much easier to pull off logistically and it looks like there are lots of experienced guys willing to wade in with advice as often as I need it.  Bob

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 10:11:01 pm »
Welcome.
As you spend more time here you will learn that advice is freely given.
Oh, and if you can make it to Mojam in July you'll be able to get plenty of bow building advice offered.
As well as an occasional beverage...  ;)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 11:31:08 pm »
Yep,  the classic, mojam,  Marshall  are all awesome ways to meet some awesome guys and build your first bow. Any one of those would be the way to go. I will tell you this,  if you get to mojam look me up. I'll probably be at the pavilion helping others with their bows. I'll personally help you get a bow under your belt.
IIf you have a stave,  start a post and a picture of the stave ask every question you have even if you think it's dumb. There are some of the best bowerys in the world on this site. We will walk you through every step.  Oh, and welcome to the obsession!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!