Author Topic: Met a big ol' gal on Tuesday!  (Read 3881 times)

Offline Ranasp

Re: Met a big ol' gal on Tuesday!
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 05:28:38 pm »
My sister and I have severe cases of that particular affliction.  ;) 

Offline Zuma

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 12:44:12 am »
Gosh,  So the majestic predators? are scavengers too??
Send them up north here to get some lead free Stogies.
They would do the farmers a favor
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2016, 01:10:30 am »
They're opportunistic feeders, they'll eat carrion, steal food from other predators and birds, pretty much eat anything they can get away with.  Takes a lot of calories to power that large a bird.  I've seen five Bald Eagles gnoshing on a dead deer once.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2016, 01:21:35 am »
They're opportunistic feeders, they'll eat carrion, steal food from other predators and birds, pretty much eat anything they can get away with.  Takes a lot of calories to power that large a bird.  I've seen five Bald Eagles gnoshing on a dead deer once.
Yeah it's a shame. It seems the smaller birds are more sensitive
 to the metals but the larger wolf like eaters get a craw full.
Are falcons the only pure predator?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2016, 01:49:32 pm »
I am doing that, and now on a maintenance schedule, I go in tomorrow for hydrogen peroxide iv, to clear up some congestion, in my chest, then back to chelation.  That is a beautiful bird there.  How did you come by her?
                                    Wayne

Put on your sassy pants and eat that chelation therapy like corn flakes, Wayne!  Life is good!

I got a call from a Conservation Officer.  He would tell me the general area she came from but said he was unable to discuss further due to a possible ongoing investigation.  No idea what he is investigating and I know to stop asking questions when that phrase comes up.

Wow, gorgeous bird!  Also what a stink eye she has! 

The bowed head is a side effect of the neurologic damage ongoing from lead poisoning.  It is also a fairly natural threat posture for eagles and other raptors.  It shields much of the vision from talons, or in the case of baldies...beaks.  Few raptors willingly bite, but I theorize that because bald eagles live communally at times and will congregate on feeding sources, they fight over scraps and have evolved the biting response as a normal fighting technique.  Most of the time, the instinct is to lay back and protect the eyes while flipping up your meat-hooking talons to do the damage!

This is eagle #18 for me, and still never been grabbed. (silently thanking any powers that be that have stood between me and them talons!)

Osage Outlaw has posted pics of a juvenile redtail hawk feeding on the scrap left over after boiling out a deer skull.  Then a year later, posted pics AGAIN of the scraps from boiling out a deer skull, only this time it was an adult redtail hawk!  Always avoid saying always, and never say never.  The rule is more calories for less work. They will only repeat a behavior that had a rewarding outcome at the end.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2016, 06:35:49 pm »
Too cool. Winters my area fills with them. Drove the river years ago and counted over 2 dozen bald eagles and 4 or golden eagles. Saw one yesterday attack something out on the hill. Pretty awesome sight
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2016, 07:52:22 am »
Bloody good on you for making the effort! You met a kindred spirit there I reckon!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2016, 02:53:16 pm »
Bloody good on you for making the effort! You met a kindred spirit there I reckon!  :)

Yeah, we both have eaten fish and roadkill in the past!

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2016, 08:34:47 am »
Lol!  :P

Quote from: JW_Halverson link=topic=56405.ms

Yeah, we both have eaten fish and roadkill in the past!
[/quote
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2016, 02:11:00 pm »
Don't be laughing at me, buddy!  I guaran-doggone-tee I ain't the only one in here that has done both!!!