Author Topic: Arm guard for off-the-fist shooting  (Read 1741 times)

Offline jeffp51

Arm guard for off-the-fist shooting
« on: March 05, 2016, 02:28:02 pm »
I am finishing up a bow for my first son, and he is thinking he might want to shoot off the hand.  does anyone have or know where I can find a simple pattern for an armguard that includes protection for the hand--either that, or what do those of you do that shoot off the hand?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Arm guard for off-the-fist shooting
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 03:06:24 pm »
Mrs Cats old leather gardening glove with the fingers cut off :laugh:. Old leather glove from a charity shop, boot fair or whatever.
If it wears through where the arrow passes you can just sew on another little patch of leather. I melted some beeswax over mine.
You can see it in action in this post complete with my bestest scary face :laugh:
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/tv-debut.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 04:27:58 pm »
I got some plans for a bracer File might be to large on here.. If you wish Jeff I can email them to you. Just pm me your adress and I'll send out the file
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 05:39:58 pm »
A floppy rest works well...and it's simple. That's what I use.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 11:49:53 pm »
Taper the front of the quill and wrap it with thread that pretty much takes care of getting cut
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 03:20:47 am »
I've always just tapered the "toe" of the quill, and add a dot of fletching glue - done properly You'll have no cuts. I do remember once, that Matt had an arrow the was cutting the dickens out of Him and upon close examination, there was a small curly-cue dried in glue - and its tip was slicing Him every shot  >:D :laugh:. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 11:41:15 am »
Double check for jaggers and roughness if you use CA glue. It dries so fast it doesn't level out. Sometimes it leaves a surface like a rasp. I think you are better off using wood glue.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 10:47:22 am »
I use a separate bracer and glove. I took an old leather glove and I cut it from between the pointer and middle finger back towards the center of the wrist, that leaves the pointer finger and the thumb and leaves two points of leather coming back towards the wrist. I then took some leather thong and sewed it onto each of those points (kinda completing the cuff that is no longer there). So I slide the glove on then tie the thong under my wrist and that holds it on similar to how a three finger shooting glove works. I'll post a pic when I get home.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 11:01:16 am »
Taper the front of the quill and wrap it with thread that pretty much takes care of getting cut
+1