Author Topic: needin help  (Read 4195 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: needin help
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 03:55:22 pm »
She must prefer contract killing.  ;D

Exactly. Have her Youtube a slaughter house video, hogs or cattle.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 04:06:38 pm »
Yeah, us hunters can get emotional over a hunt. I have to take pause and thank God, and the animal, for the life. Also the hard work that goes into a hunt, with a final success, it can be a very emotional and joyful experience, not to mention if we miss, or wound, there is some emotion there.

Logic rarely follows emotion. Emotion is rarely based on logic. Its best to keep away from that problem. Ask her straight up, are you wanting to only argue your point to me or is anything I say going to matter or change your mind? That will force her to admit her intentions and her own closed mindedness. Probably the best way to end that before it ever becomes an argument. You win.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 08:05:23 am »
Awesome points! It's obvious how integral to our being it is from the passionate answers... I think there are too many people who think that they decide what's best for everyone else, trusting and worshiping their own rationale is what it is. Part of this post modern mindset is that we are so "advanced" as a race  that we are above the base ( Natural!) ways of humanity. Humanity has not changed, life and death, killing and eating are not outdated. The brilliant Secretary of State to our current President said of Russia invading Ukraine that it was 20th century tactics in the 21rst century. Psh.. We can build our education and systems of governing  but we cannot change our essence, foolish to believe otherwise, it can only weaken us .

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 08:22:08 am »
To be honest , you can't explain it, just as Steve said respectfully disagree and move on. I tell folks all the time I kill stuff, (not harvest) eat it and use what I can of the parts. I always respect the animal I kill but it was put here for us to use, agree or disagree that is the truth. If they like it fine if not I really don't care in the least. It's like auguring religion or politics , no one is going to win and it usually just gets ugly. Better at least for me to just say my piece and move on. ;) :) I know that's not much help but that is how I handle it. :) Believe it or not in most cases when they figure out I eat and use it and not just out to kill something they are OK with that even if they wouldn't do it ,they seem not to mind so much that I do. :) Of course it may be my attitude also when they see I really don't care if they like it or not. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 08:42:59 am »
. . .  is anything I say going to matter or change your mind? . . .

good thought ... wish my memory wasn't so $!*& poor!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 10:10:33 am »
DC,
I've said before and I'll say it again I respect people and their opinions, I can respect an honest debate, that unfortunately is not what was described in Jayman's post.
Yes Jayman is looking for a logical argument to try and change the opinion of people who would attack us for who we are but you said it yourself " logical arguments do not work for emotional issues"
This lady had no interest in debate, all she wanted was to selfrighteously tell him what a bad human being he was.
The quote"everyone is entitled to their own opinion" I think is an unfortunate saying that only serves to divide us and cement us into differing camps. a better saying would be"everyone has an opinion",that would allow us to respect one another and still hold to our belief's, it would also allow us to debate respectfully and maybe change an opinion or two. The entitlement option leads to what we see today, people who think their belief is the ultimate truth and gives them the right to verbally attack anyone.
That said, if there was a misunderstanding that suggested that I was painting all non hunters black with a wide brush, I apologize for that misunderstanding I do have vegetarian and non hunting friends in my archery club after all who are nothing like the woman Jayman describes.
In the end I stand by my original statement,
I think there's something of an inferiority complex in these  people, their getting a high off of telling us how bad we really are.
Lot's of people need to hate someone to make themselves feel superior.
It's kinda shocking but to many of these people the natural world is something you can visit once in a while but don't touch, better yet watch it on TV.

Kevin .
I think it speaks an unspoken truth,and it was not disrespectful to vegans or those who hold differing opinions, it was disrespectful to the disrespectful and if I could rewrite the third line I would edit out the word "these" but it is a sad truth, to many people the natural world is not natural.
And that is my opinion.

DC,
 I took no offense to you quoting me and it is always wise to try and understand both sides of an argument. Perhaps I could have written my first post better but I think you might have read more into it than I actually intended to say.

Kevin
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 10:29:37 am by Buffalogobbler »
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline JEB

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 11:16:15 am »
To answer your first question.  You don't .

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 11:28:22 am »
Jayman, 10% of the people are anti hunting and 10% are hunters, You can't change either one, it is the 80% in the middle that you need to talk to because they are the ones who will eventually decide the future of hunting.  Bob

Offline sapling bowyer

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2016, 11:20:48 am »
Nature allows us to hunt because it is part of the ecosystem, keeping the number of animals in balance. Now in some places the ecosystem is almost gone. We don't hunt in those places. We also do not hunt endangered spieces. When people who don't know think about hunting, they think about cruel trophy hunters, with no mercy and love against nature and people hunting for money. We are not like that. We respect nature and only hunt when nature allows us. We listen to Nature and respect it. We thank mother earth whenever we harvest a game. We are not like what people think. If only they knew...
Time is short

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2016, 04:52:47 pm »
My own wife calls me a Bambi murderer. She hates the fact that I hunt. However, her and I came to an understanding many years ago. We've been married for 13 years now, with many more to come I'm sure. It boils down to respecting each other's individuality. In my past conversations with my wife and strangers as well, I simply bring up that point. I can respect them and their thoughts and emotions about it, if they can offer me the same. Then I kindly let them know that I have more respect, knowledge, and appreciation for the wild game that I hunt than most non hunters could dream of. They usually respond with how could you when you are killing them.

To me it's not about killing, it's about fitting into the natural environment, and part of that is me being a predator, in order to feed myself and others as well. After those points being made, I've never had anyone continue to argue. We've always agreed to disagree, and came to some form of mutual respect.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI