Author Topic: 'Smoke' Yew ALB - pic heavy  (Read 4983 times)

Offline Accipiter

'Smoke' Yew ALB - pic heavy
« on: February 28, 2016, 04:29:37 pm »
Just finished up my most recent project and, I think its fair to say, my personal best bow so far. This yew tree came from my friend’s property in eastern Oregon, and spent a bit of time around campfire as I figured out what to do with it. Combined with the charcoal stain job (thanks Pat B for the idea!) and I figured ‘Smoke’ fit the bow well. This tree had thick sapwood, 3/8” or so, and I was afraid I’d run out of heartwood before I got down to my weight, hence the ALB style.
Used some muley antler I found in Montana for the overlays – good juju? Its not exactly light in the hand with its length and the metal in the handle, but its smooth as can be and hits where I look. Puts a field point through 3/8" fiberboard too - looks like I need a new target backdrop!  :D

This was my first takedown bow, I used brass/steel sleeves from Carson (thanks!) and they worked great once I'd wrestled them on and sanded them smooth. Speaking of wrestling, the billets were a bit of a pain to get matched tiller on, with the lower limb having a reflexed kink right out of the fades. Its not perfect now, but I’m ok with it. The limbs had some pretty good propeller twist, which I heated out, and I also needed several heating sessions to get limb alignment down. The bow doesn’t look straight unstrung, but when braced the string tracks just barely left of center. I’ll take it. All in all, a challenging but satisfying build for me and one that I hope will pay off with my first deer this fall. I’m already more accurate with this bow that any of my previous ones, and after getting a good set of arrows together and a summer of shooting them, I think I ought to be dead center on anything inside 20 yards!

Thanks for looking, and I hope spring reaches you all soon!

Specs:
50# at 26"
66" ntn, 1 3/8" wide at the fades tapering to 1/2" at the tips
27 oz total weight - 9.5 for sleeves, epoxy and handle wrap = 17.5 oz

17oz should be ideal according to the TBB v4 mass formula. I didn't weigh the bow at all until I finished it - pretty cool it ended up so close!  This was fairly low density yew (growing in a primo spot with good soil by a creek), so I think that contributed to the fairly low weight, although possibly to the set as well.

Immediately unstrung, top limb has just under 1” of set. Bottom has maybe 1 ¼”

Money shot up front (excuse the random debris everywhere):

Billets:

Strung Profile:

Unstrung:

Really liking the charcoal stain. Just used rubbing alcohol and some charcoal from the fireplace.

Left some extra wood around this bad boy…

First time signing a bow, I used Misslemaster's 'scrimshaw' technique for everything except the 'B' - worked great!

Final, slightly blurry full draw profile shot:

Offline StickMan47

Re: 'Smoke' Yew ALB - pic heavy
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 07:32:34 pm »
I like the "smoke" stain. Did you do just the back? I know the belly is heartwood but can't tell if it's stained too.
Makin fine firewood, one bow at a time!

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 07:33:14 pm »
Tiller looks spot on. I like it. Great work.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 09:45:35 pm »
Thanks stix and stick : ) The belly isnt stained at all, but part of it is heat-treated, so its a bit darker.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 09:55:41 pm »
Very nice bow, the tiller looks so smooth and even. Hope you nail a deer, it sure looks like an accurate shooting bow.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 10:06:07 pm »
Accipter, that is a very nice yew bow. The fact that it is a takedown is just a nice bonus. Glad that sleeve worked for you.
Sounds like you are doing all the right things to get yourself a nice deer this fall!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 11:06:24 pm »
Very nice bow. Congrats! Look forward to seeing many more of your projects.

ps ..... I hate you guys with the dead level drawing arm.   >:(
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 12:34:43 am »
Thats a sweet bow! I really like the finish, especially the charcoal stain!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 01:02:16 am »
Thanks all, I appreciate it. The pieces aren't quite 'quiver-able', but being a take-down sure helps the transportability factor.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 03:28:22 am »
Nicely done - very nice ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 05:55:02 am »
Good looking stick. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 08:05:16 am »
Looks great, congrats on all the hard work paying off

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 12:58:09 pm »
Fine work, congrats!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 01:06:41 pm »
What is not to like?  Anything beyond tiller is just lipstick on the pig, so to speak, and I appreciate how you used a sparing hand with the makeup.  Just enough to highlight her good looks! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.